Author Topic: Thomas Kettles & Isobel Webster  (Read 3600 times)

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Kettles & Isobel Webster
« on: Friday 20 July 07 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hoping that someone may be able to help me find information regarding
Thomas born 1761/2.

Thomas Kettles who married Isobel Webster in 1783 .
Isobel died between 1796 and 1808.

Anything about the Kettles family  would be most helpful.

Thanks
regards
Annette Ellen :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.
Steel, McNab, Christie, Kelly, Fraser.

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Kettles & Isobel Webster
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

Here are some on their children from IGI Family Search

1. JOHN KETTLE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 10 JAN 1786 Errol, Perth, Scotland

2. THOMAS KETTLE - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 30 MAY 1784 Errol, Perth, Scotland

3. JEAN KETTLES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 28 JUN 1791 Longforgan, Perth, Scotland

4. MATTHEW KETTLES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 19 AUG 1787 Errol, Perth, Scotland

5. JANET KETTLES - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 24 MAY 1789 Errol, Perth, Scotland 

Elizabeth

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Thomas Kettles (the father) Christening also from IGI Family search!! Sorry it doesn't give mothers name!!

THOMAS KETTLE   Male     

Event(s):
 Birth: 
 Christening:  05 DEC 1762   Dunbarney, Perth, Scotland

Death: 
 Burial: 

Parents:
  Father:  ROBERT KETTLE

Elizabeth

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 06:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
Thank you for the information you sent.
 Is it possible to see if there is any record of a death for Isobel/isabel/Isabella Kettles (Maiden name Webster) between 1796 and 1808.
 We think that Thomas Kettles was maybe married twice and we have a Thomas Kettles married a Margaret harley in 1808 who we are wondering could be the 2nd marriage.
If you can help it would be much appreciated.
Thanks again for your vaulable help with this family.
Cheers
Annette :) :)
Dundee, Montrose, Perthshire, Errol,- Ireland , Birmingham, Huddersfield, England, Rotterdam, Holland.
Kettles, Kettle, Young, Archibald, Smith, Greive, Philp, Gibson, Mason, Bent, White, Cunneen, Cahill, Pratt, Frost, Bridges, Mothersole, Money, Roche/Roach, Lenehan/ Linehan/ Linahan, Leonard, Sayles, Waren/Warren, Johnson, Berigan/Bergin/Berrigan/Birgin, Janssen.

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again Annette,

Sorry I can't find a death for Isobel on IGI Family Search but maybe if you try OPR's but remember BMD's didn't have to be registered at that time but worth a try anyway..

Elizabeth

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for the replies.
I am wondering if the Robert Kettles had any children.
I have a Thomas Kettles married Margaret Harley abt 7th June 1808 and they had 2 children ? If this is so then Thomas would have been abt 40 yrs at the time??

With the marriage of Thomas kettles and Isobel Webster in 1783 iI am wondering if maybe Thomas was married twice but we cannot be sureb but maybe if only they did not all have the same names.

Regards
Annette

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

Some thoughts.

1. Re a possible death of Isobel (WEBSTER) KETTLES.
I see from the IGI that Thomas KETTLES & Isobel WEBSTER married (1783) in Errol, Perthshire, had children - Thomas, John, Matthew, Janet - christened between 1784 and 1789 in Errol, and then had a child - Jean - born 1791 in Longforgan.

A check of the Family History Library catalog on the FamilySearch site at:
http://www.familysearch.org/
indicates that the Longforgan church records do not include burials for the relevant period.

Booklets of pre-1855 MIs (Monumental/Memorial Inscriptions) for Perthshire have been published.  If you belong to a local genealogical society, you might be able to consult them there as they would very likely hold the booklets.  Otherwise you could post a specific query for an MI lookup on RootsChat.

2. Thomas KETTLE(S) and Margaret HARLEY.
Re the 1808 marriage of a Thomas KETTLES and a Margaret HARLEY - do you have a source for that?  I can't find any marriage between a Thomas KETTLE(S) & a Margaret HARLEY in the IGI - International Genealogical Index - on FamilySearch, or in a free search on ScotlandsPeople).

I see that a Thomas KETTLE & a Margaret HARLEY are recorded in the IGI as parents of the following two children - Charlotte Mathew KETTLE b 1818 and Charles KETTLE b 1820, both in Dunbarney, Perthshire.  Also in Dunbarney with father Thomas KETTLE but no mother named are the following KETTLE births which may or may not be relevant (but note the middle names) - William b 1793, Catherine Mathew b 1796, Hellen b 1808, Robert Matthew b 1810, James b 1815.  (The relevant Dunbarney batches in the IGI are C113475 and C113476.)

3. Any connexion between the two Thomas KETTLE(S)s?
Do you have any reason to connect the Thomas KETTLE who had children with Margaret HARLEY in Dunbarney, and the Thomas KETTLE(S) who married Isabel WEBSTER in Errol and had children with her in Errol and then one in Longforgan?

Have you downloaded from the (pay-per-view) site ScotlandsPeople at:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
any of the OPR entries for the 1783 marriage and/or any of the births/baptisms to see if there are any clues?

Best regards,

JAP

Offline annette ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Jap,

Thanks for the reply.
 Thomas Kettles & Margaret Harley's son Robert Matthew b 1810 is a family history member of a couple here in Australia that I have been in touch with.
 She is thinking that maybe Thomas could have been married twice, but she cannot be sure and suggested that if we can find a death for Isobel Kettles  between 1796-1808,  it may tell us, but  she has had no luck so far.

I haven't had the pay-per-viewsite as I do not have a credit card which I assume you need to purchase them but I wil ask the lady here and see if she has used the Scotlandspeople.
I will try the MI lookup on Rootschat and see how I go.

Thanks for all the help which is much appriciated.

Regards
Annette :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette,

It is annoying that the mother's name is so often not recorded!

It would be interesting to know whether your correspondent has proof of the marriage of Thomas KETTLE & Margaret HARLEY (which I can't find) or whether she is just assuming that they married in 1808.  And I wonder who she thinks is the mother of the following children born in Dunbarney with father Thomas KETTLE - William b 1793, Catherine Mathew b 1796.
And it will be interesting to know whether she has downloaded any parish register entries (or looked at them on film at a local LDS Family History Centre).

Of course it might well not be possible to tie up all the various Thomas KETTLE(S)s - fingers crossed that there is an MI.

Re ScotlandsPeople, it seems that there is now a facility whereby one can purchase vouchers for credits by cheque.  Looks fairly complex - see:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/images/Voucher%20order%20form_1.4.pdf

Regards,

JAP