Author Topic: John Day  (Read 3806 times)

Offline lellysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Day
« on: Friday 20 July 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate my Gt Grandfather's birth - he was born circa 1852 - his father was also a John Day (he is shown as a labourer on my Gt Grandfather's marriage cert.) but unfortunately I have no further information.

Any help would be gratefully received

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Day
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 12:16 BST (UK) »
There is a John Day listed at Ballyseskin, Kilmore, Co Wexford in Griffiths Valuation c. 1853.  Griffiths listed the Head of each Household but not the children  I wonder if this John is your Gr Gr Grandfather.
Take a look at the Kilmore posting immediately after your own - you may learn more there.

Offline lellysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you LH, my heart rose with the prospect of finally finding something, everyone jokes that my Gt. Grandfather must have dropped in from outer space because we cannot find anything!!

Unfortunately the Griffiths Valuation is not yet complete so there is no  access, would you know of any other way I can access it?

I have been to the official Wexford site but couldn't find anything there either  :'(

Many thanks for telling me about it though and I will keep trying  ;)

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 13:57 BST (UK) »
Griffiths is available on-line at www.failteromhat.com.  I then entered DAY in the Surname box and searched the entire country - but as you queried Wexford, I only sent you the relevant details.
On the Kilmore posting below yours, I found John Day listed also. 
For the record - the Kilmore/Kilmore Quay area has to be one of the most beautiful places in Ireland.  Lovely people, beautiful place and gorgeous climate!  If you haven't been - you should visit and trace your roots in person... 
Cheers

Offline lellysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks LH,

I have just found that link and am having a good look around! We have often spoken about visiting but as I am disabled it isn't always easy to arrange these things.

It would be nice to find at least one actual definitive link then we would at least have a starting point.

I discovered only in the last couple of weeks that I spent the first  21 years of my life living in the same town as my Grandfather's siblings and their families and didn't even know it and I am now 67 years old!

Thanks again

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 14:24 BST (UK) »
That area if very flat, hence the beautiful views out across the sea to the Saltee Islands and inland across miles of fields!  The area is only a stone throw from the car ferry in Rosslare - so you have no excuse!   Beautiful B&B accommodation is readily available and reasonably priced.
All you need to find now is your relative...
Good Luck

Offline Sordibub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

There was indeed a John Day in Ballyseskin, Kilmore. He was there in 1853, as already mentioned, but also in 1833 (see Tithe Applotment Book in my Kilmore Genealogy website). A John Day also signed the 1847 famine petition, on the same web site.

By 1885 (Bassett's Directory) the only John Day listed in the parish is in the townland of Gallagh, civil parish : Kilturk. Whether this "Day" is related or not I cannot say. However, Bassett's did not list every household in the parish so there may have still been a "Day" presence in Ballyseskin. There is no "Day" in Ballyseskin by 1901.

There were 7 "Day" families having children in Kilmore between 1752 and 1780 so the name was well established in the parish. However, as you can see from the Griffith Valuation there were other "Days" in other surrounding parishes by 1853.

Unfortunately  I don't have the Kilmore birth records from around 1852 so I cannot check for births. I will get to transcribing them eventually for the website so, do drop back every now and then to check it out.

Rachel
Wexford & Donegal

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi lellysmum, whenever I see a Wexford request I read it in the hope that it may be of some help in finding my Wexford ancestors.

I hope you do not mind if I barge in here as LH and Sordibub seem to be very knowledgable - I wonder if they may be able to assist me. (I have requested information about my Irish family on rootschat in the past but with little/no response)

My gg grandfather is Thomas Joseph Healy b 1863 New Ross Wexford. His parents are Darby Healy, farmer, and Anastasia Ryan.

My gg grandmother is Mary Jane Connor b 1864 Wexford, Wexford. Her parents are Den(n)is Connor, farmer, and Mary Murphy.

I believe they were Roman Catholic as Mary Jane and Thomas Joseph married in a RC church in Australia. Birth date estimates from ages at marriage and death.

That is all I know about them. Has anyone any knowledge of these families?

Sorry again for hijacking your post lellysmum.

Offline Sordibub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I don't know anything about your ancestors but what I can do is give some general advice on research in ireland.

Catholic Births, marriage & deaths from 1864 onwards are covered under Irish Civil registration. If you have a place and rough date (within 5 years) you can order a birth,  marriage or death from the Irish GRO by post and credit  card. It is cheap - costs € 6 for a photocopy of the register and only €2 if they can't find the entry.

http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

If you don't know the place or rough date of your ancestor's post 1864 BMD, then you need to search for  the event in the IGI Indexes (Latter Day Saints). These indexes are available in many countries and, with an IGI reference, you only pay €4 for your BMD at GRO Ireland.

Prior to 1864, things become more difficult from abroad and, I should imagine, much more costly.

Roman catholic parish records exist for the pre 1864 time period. Here is a website showing you which records exist for which areas.                                                                                                                                                      You need to click on Wexford on the map and then the appropriate area...

http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/

Parish records for New Ross, for example, exist from 1789 onwards so the birth of Thomas Healy should be there.

Regarding Mary Jane Connor,  if she was born in 1864 or afterwards then her birth will be covered under civil registration. If your document says she was from "Wexford, Wexford" then this means she was from Wexford Town. You couldtry ordering her birth record from the Irish GRO, specifying that she was from Wexford Town and born between 1864-1868  (these dates being the earliest 5 years in existence). It is worth a try.

The only other thing I might add that could be helpful is that there seems to have been just one Denis Conner in Wexford Town, as head of household, in 1853. The Griffith Valuation is a census substitute used by genealogists to locate heads of household. The Valuation was taken in Wexford in 1853 and is on line (although not complete)...

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

Note, Denis Conner in the townland of Townparks, civil parish : St John's
Wexford Town. Perhpas he is Mary's father. I could not locate Darby Healy.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your research.
Wexford & Donegal