Author Topic: John Day  (Read 3807 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Day
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 August 07 00:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you Sordibub (and to LH for the personal message). I appreciate the time you took to reply and for your easy to understand explanation and the links.

I have printed out the appropriate form and will apply for the birth certificate of Mary Jane Connor from the groireland.

For a head of household to be listed in Griffiths, would he also need to be a landowner? My Denis was a farmer but if he worked someone else's land would he be on Griffiths?

And thank you lellysmum for letting me hijack your thread.

Offline Sordibub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 August 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie,

You are very welcome.
No, people didn't have to be landowners to be listed in Griffith (otherwise it wouldn't be any good to most of us).

However, as I mentioned before the on-line Griffith is not complete so it is safer to check the complete version and besides, you will want a copy of the map that relates to your ancestor's holding.

Also, a piece of information which is not mentioned in the on-line index is whether or not your ancestor had a house at that location. I think if someone had a holding in Wexford Town it is bound to have had a house on it and that means he lived there. However, I was caught out myself in the past, thinking one of my Donegal ancestors lived in the town when in fact he was only listed there because he owned land there (and was double listed elsewhere too).

Anyway you can have 72  hours access to the Griffith, using Irish Origins for £7.50 (unfortunately the price has double recently)

http://www.originsnetwork.com/

72 house should be plenty of time to get everything you need from Griffith, including maps.

Wexford & Donegal

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 August 07 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Sordibub.

I have looked at my old notes and found the following from the CMC RECORD PROJECT - Property Owners of County Wexford c 1870:
Denis Connor Forth Common, Murrintown - owned 30 acres. There are several other Connors also owning property at Forth Common. By using the link to the map provided by you, I have discovered that Princetown (Murrintown) is a county adjoing Wexford. So this family may or may not be relevant.

Thanks for the tip about Irish Origins, the explanation about Griffiths etc etc.

Much appreciated.

Offline lellysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 August 07 13:11 BST (UK) »
I must first apologise to Sordibub and Ruskie, I have not been able to reply sooner due to family illness but I must thank you Sordibub for all your information and help and I hope soon to get back to my research, and Ruskie, I am glad I have been able to help, you are most welcome to use me to get some answers, I know only too well how desperate one can get when trying to find some help.

Thank you and good luck to you both    ;)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 August 07 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you lellysmum. I keep putting my Wexford ancestors in the "too hard" basket but I can't resist returning to them. There must be hundreds of descendants out there somewhere!

Do you know whereabouts in Wexford John is from? Have you tried to find him in Parish records? Have you hired the film of the parish registers from the LDS? I was going to try this for my ancestors, but can't work out the correct film and am not even sure if the appropriate records have been filmed (I get lost on the LDS site). I hope to pop along to my local centre to see if they can advise me.

I wish you good luck in your search for John.