Author Topic: William HOGAN - Victoria  (Read 18187 times)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: hogan
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 July 07 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hello  there

At the risk of shocking you ;D  it could all mean  that the parents never married.  My own grandparents  it turned out had never married  and yet had a wedding date down on  the birth certificate  of the children.  An aunt had tried to find  the marriage  but no luck.  I  then  found  the first two  children  born in Victoria (where the alledged marrried took place ) under her maiden name and no father recorded and yet on the eldest son's death certificate, he died aged only 19 , grandad was his father etc.

As Leila was so young  they  may have run off together, he was consideralby older, so he may have had a wife and children.

REgards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline de windt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 July 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn  You may be right I never thought of that may be he was already married. So I don't think I will find his parents? but I will look for a birth for William about 1848-1860. I wounder if his parents came from Ireland. or may be  a convicts

Many thanks for that.

Enid

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 July 07 07:16 BST (UK) »
And then  ;D

They may also have married later on.  They seem pretty consistent with the November date, just the year has changed (or is they typos!)

Church marriages by all denominations were registered by the person who performed the ceremony, these records were forwarded to the registrar at regular intervals.  (after July 1853)  The registrar did call for details of previous marriage records to be forwarded to them, but not all ministers may have felt inclined to do so.  Records in the Victorian BDM indexes prior to July 1853 are church records and hold little information.

I have also read of bogus marriage celebrants, accepting a few bob to perform a marriage.  Who knows, this may have happened - these are not going to show up in records.

Our widowed GG grandma had five kids before she remarried ten years after the first child with her new beau, and he died that same year.   No marriage was ever found for her first relationship, though she consistently claimed a marriage year and place which also happened to be the same year and place her father died. 

The eldest son then went on to live with a girl, but they never actually married until before the birth of their second child.  On birth certificates, over 20
years (11 kids including a set of twins), his wife claimed a marriage in a place far away where a half-uncle lived, and always predated it a year before the birth of the first child.

Some access to church records can be had by contacting the church involved.

He died 1918, aged 69, parents unknown, Bairnsdale, Vic
reg number:3646 

Do you have the details of this death certificate?  Because you said in your original post

WILLIAM HOGAN 1850-1900
and there is no Vic death 1900.  Then you said 1918, given you by a grandson of that William Hogan.
So what does this say about his marriage? does it name Leila and his children?

Enid said..
So I don't think I will find his parents? but I will look for a birth for William about 1848-1860.

The only births in Victoria for the time span are the three that I posted earlier.
Repeating post  here..
Just further to that, one of the girl's deaths gives her father as William Patrick - this may or may not be right.  There is this birth at "Sand'" which would be Sandridge which was Port Melbourne I think.  Anyway it is the registration place, not necessarily the birthplace.   If they were Irish, this would account for the discepancy in ages of William. No pun intended there, from experience my lot were shocking with their ages.

William Patrick HOGAN, birth reg 1860, Sand, reg no:10417
father: William
mother: Mary MALONE

can probably rule out william patrick hogan born 1860 to hogan and malone as he died in 1903 aged 43
regards jenn

other two...

1854 at "Sand"  William Long Hogan, father Thomas, mother Margaret Long reg 1789

1854 at Melb - William Thomas Hogan, father William, mother Bridget Hunt.
reg 6287

then no more reg at Melbourne until 1869

certainly sound Irish!  it was on Selina's death that she gave her father's name as William Patrick.

ChristineR
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline de windt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 July 07 10:28 BST (UK) »
hi jENN.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 July 07 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi  there Enid ;D

did you  forget the message or were you just being friendly :o

regards Jenn 8)
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline de windt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 July 07 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn  I have Selina death she died in 1951 at beechwood do you have access to her death cert? you may be rigth he may have married later, or never. Do you think I should get the death cert? for William 1918 William was buried in bairnsdale cemetery on 1may 1918 it state he was from bruthen a laborer age 69yrs in the Roman catholic compartment. I have found the death of Selina  McLeod  2 march 1888 reg as mcloud  her will was proved in the supreme court of new south wales  under ref 1702 series 3 Daniel died 1899 age 60yrs at jerilderie. I'm not sure where to go next?

Kind regards

Enid

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 July 07 11:27 BST (UK) »

have Selina death she died in 1951 at beechwood do you have access to her death cert?

No one has access to certificates  unless they have brought them  or are a transcription agent who is authorised to make a copy of it. 

You  say  you  have William Hogan death certificate and he is from Bruthen ???  does it give a date for the marriage?

you can  get a purchase of Selana's will  but  I don't know what other sort of information it may get you though!

regards Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 July 07 11:35 BST (UK) »
hello  enid

in reply 13 you say leila died in 1940  and the n you say 1951  which is it?

regard Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline de windt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 28 July 07 11:35 BST (UK) »
HI Jenn I only have the death info from my cousin he is now died he was Fredrick Leo Hogan date of death for Fredrick 11th Jan 1988 age 64yrs his wife also died 16/10/1988 age 66yrs they had no children.
 they live east Brighton Victoria. Leo was in the british navy.

the Necropolis Springvale