Author Topic: enumerators round...  (Read 3321 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
enumerators round...
« on: Saturday 21 July 07 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, Iv found my 4x great grandad a long time ago on 1841 census and after revisting the image i noticed that he is the very last person on the enumerators round - the last person the enumerator saw in that district. So i thought i would look at the district and where the enumerator commenced from and where he ended to see if i could make an educateed guess as to whereabouts in the village my  4x great grandad lived. Only thing is i dont know how to link the image with my ancestor on it to the  pages describing where the enumerator covered...does anyone know what i mean?

Thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: enumerators round...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 07 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ali - when you have the Image displayed - look up toward the top and you'll see the 'trail' of:-

1841 Census -> County -> Parish -> District number 'n'

Make a note of the District number, then click on the Parish name.

You will get a list of Districts displayed for that Parish.

Click on View description of enumeration district for the District you were viewing ..

Cheers, Newfster ...
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 07 18:58 BST (UK) »
thanks il try and remember that....
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 07 19:05 BST (UK) »
keep this thread open while you try it    :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 07 19:29 BST (UK) »
It is important not to confuse the description of the streets or houses in the enumeration disrict with the order in which these appear in the nominal returns in the body of the book. The latter  was left completely up to the enumerator, who was not necessarily constrained by a descriptionset down by a registrar.  The strangely aberrant forms of the description of enumeration districts that can be found in the books are an indication of how comparatively little control was exercised over local officers.From "Making Sense of the Census Revisited" by Edward Higgs

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 07 21:13 BST (UK) »
oh so the description of the round is not necessarily the order in which they appear in the actual census pages then?

Alison

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 07 07:51 BST (UK) »
The enumerators route is easy to follow, it tallies with the schedule numbers.
The schedule number appears down the left hand column of the page.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 07 11:14 BST (UK) »
Sometimes 'landmark' addresses can help - Shops, Post Offices, Pubs, Vicarages, Larger 'named' Houses, Courtyards, Schools etc.

But the 1841 isnt as good as the later census.

Wish you a result in your search !

:)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 07 11:15 BST (UK) »
yes i found that he lives near The Old Swan Inn in Alvechurch...think il go and see if that still exists - i know its unlikely but il try...
Alison