Author Topic: enumerators round...  (Read 3322 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: enumerators round...
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 July 07 13:20 BST (UK) »
yes i found that he lives near The Old Swan Inn in Alvechurch...think il go and see if that still exists - i know its unlikely but il try...
Alison

There is The Swan Hotel, Alvechurch Address: 12, Swan St, Alvechurch, Birmingham, West Midlands, B48 7RP

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 July 07 13:24 BST (UK) »
yeah i found that stan - i posted on worcs board to see if anyone local knows whether it is old enough to be the same place...
Thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Molly Atkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just come across the messages on enumerators round which I think helps a bit with a line I'm pursueing. If I'm tracing back the occupants of a house, can I assume that the census records will be in the same order from one census to the next i.e. the schedule numbers will broadly tally (give or take new build/demolitions)?

The house is in a Norfolk village where they don't seem to have recorded street names until 1901 census (and, of course, no house numbers). I thought if I could pin down pubs etc then the houses in between will be in the same order each census. Is that a safe assumption?
Thanks

Margaret

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 12:27 BST (UK) »
can I assume that the census records will be in the same order from one census to the next i.e. the schedule numbers will broadly tally (give or take new build/demolitions)?

not in my experience - I've seen 3 consecutive census where its different, on one the Enumerator criss-crossed the road too !

Might help if you can find a family at a dwelling in consecutive years .....
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Molly Atkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 20:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks - that confirms what I thought. I've now had a look at 1901 and 1891 census for the village I'm looking at and one definitely goes one way round and one the other way. I've managed to match them by key sites (pubs, named houses etc) but your comment about the possibility of criss-crossing makes my heart sink!

Many thanks

Margaret

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 09:18 BST (UK) »
Only way I realised that that particular village had been criss-crossed, was to luckily find some families living at the same address on 3 census years !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk