Author Topic: Can anyone help be with a disappearing person?COMPLETED  (Read 6123 times)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Can anyone help be with a disappearing person?COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 22 July 07 11:26 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with a frustrating puzzle?

Ann Hyslop was born (according to the IGI) 3 Feb 1831 St Quivox Ayr, parents David Hislop and Agnes Hervy.

The name is spelt variously Hislop, Hyslop, Heslip, Heslop etc

I had assumed that Ann had died young as she did not appear on any census returns - not even with her family on the 1841, when she would have been 10.

Then she turned up in 1901 in the household of her niece, Mary Dinning, nee Hyslop:

9 Stockwell Place, Blytheswood, Glasgow. Annie Hyslop, aunt, 70, formerly dressmaker, b Ayr.

This is so frustrating, as I cannot find any other records of her!  What on earth was she doing with her life between 1831 and 1901??   ???

Grateful for any help or suggestions.
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help be with a disappearing person?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 July 07 11:37 BST (UK) »
I'll amend that my adding in 1841 she was in the household of her aunt Agnes Clegg, nee Hyslop, in Dundonald.  :)
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts

Offline bluedooo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 July 07 13:30 BST (UK) »
One possible suggestion (if you have not already thought of it) - get a look at Ann Hyslop's death certificate.  If she died in Scotland, Scottish death certificates can have lots of information on the deceased, and may have a clue that was worth following up.
Tom 

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 07 15:55 BST (UK) »
I cannot find her death either

Offline bluedooo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 July 07 20:08 BST (UK) »
I may be able to help you regards a search for Ann Hyslop's death (if registered in Scotland).  I will be in the Strathclyde Genealogy Centre in Glasgow this comming Friday to do some research, so I could squeeze in a lookup for you  - if you wish. Scottish BMDs from 1855 to 2007 are available to research.  Let me know before Friday.
Tom 

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 07 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Julieann

The only entry I can see on 1851, at what looks like Ann's sister Elizabeth's (did Elizabeth marry William Currie?) home:

William Currie    34, farm lab., b. Craigie, Ayr
Elizabeth Currie 32, b. St Evox, Ayr
Agnes Currie    7, b. Craigie, Ayr
Mary Currie    6, b. Mauchline, Ayr
Elizabeth Currie 6, b. Monkton, Ayr
John Currie    2, b. Mauchline, Ayr
Ann H Currie 19, visitor, Hand Sewer, b. St Evox, Ayr

Address: Braeside, Riccarton

This entry is from the index. I wonder whether the original may show the H for Ann as Hyslop or abbreviation of but the whole entry has been put down as Currie for her?

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 07 21:23 BST (UK) »
I was going to suggest that she may have married which is why she was hard to track by name alone...but she remained single. Her death entry:

1908   HYSLOP   ANNIE    77   KILMARNOCK   /AYR   597/00 0064

Annie may not have been in Scotland for some of the censuses. For example, there is an entry in England in 1881 that might be hers:

Agnes SWANSTON  Head      W      66     b. Scotland      Housekeeper      
Ann HYSLOP      Boarder   U       49      b. Scotland      Dressmaker      
William HOGG      Boarder   U      17     b. Scotland      Agricultural Labourer

Address: Langton Field, Appleby St Michael, Westmorland, England    

Monica

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica and bluedoo.

The death entry looks good, I will download it next time i'm on Scotlands People.

I found that entry on the 1881, but I don't think it's right as on the 1891 Agnes Swanston is head, and Ann Hyslop is sister.  This can't be my Ann as her sister Agnes married Thomas Clegg and died in 1855.

The Currie family entry on the 1851 is interesting, Ann had a sister Elizabeth Watling Hyslop, born in 1816, St Quivox, Ayr.  That is all the info I have on her, haven't got her on any census returns either.  Will have to investigate further.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 07 22:19 BST (UK) »
Re William Currie and Elizabeth, there are a number of entries (banns/marriage):

WILLIAM CURRIE  Marriages: ELIZABETH HISLOP    
Marriage: 05 JUN 1842  Irvine, Ayr, Scotland

Going by the date of marriage, first born daughter Agnes would fit for their mother's name.

Regards.

Monica