Author Topic: horton  (Read 2402 times)

Offline benrymnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
horton
« on: Sunday 22 July 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
I am tracing my mothers family line of hortons and gone back to 1789 probably the marriage date of william horton  to mary no surname,william came from ireland to bristol with some of his brothers with the intention of carrying on to america but for some reason decided to stay in england,I know this information is very vague but would love to find where in ireland they came from and if any horton ancestors are still in ireland, if any one can help in any way I would be most grateful.
regards ray

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: horton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 October 07 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ray,

There are no Hortons listed on the Irish Flax Growers List 1796, but on Griffiths Valuation extracts on John Hayes failteromhat.com website there are three Hortons listed ...

Thomas Horton, Clashnagooneen, Whitechurch. Waterford (1848-51)
John Horton, Gillstown Great, Rathmore. Meath (1855)
Thomas Horton, Water Street, St. Annes, Shandon. Cork (1851-3)

The dates show when the Valuation took place in the county.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 October 07 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Ray- have you searched all English census entries for a place of birth in Ireland? Sometimes the county is given instead of just 'Ireland' which is a start but you will find it extremely difficult to trace the family in Ireland without at least the parish if not the actual townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline benrymnd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 19:44 GMT (UK) »
thankyou both for your replies christopher the names you gave give me hope as they are both very popular in the horton family,will try the census's for the births and places of.
regards ray