Author Topic: Newspaper look up please  (Read 1701 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newspaper look up please
« on: Monday 23 July 07 11:29 BST (UK) »
If someone has a few minutes to spare when they visit Libindx could they look up a birth/death in the Northern Scott.

I have a William Smith who was born in 1900.  He died at 9 weeks old on 23th March 1900.  He died in Old Monkland but his mother was from Urquhart, Morayshire.  I wondered if there had been a notice of birth and death in the Northern Scott.  I am hoping it might say where he is buried.  He is mentioned on the family stone in Elgin.  I have tried the authorities who would have dealt with Old Monkland but unfortunately they could not find anything.

Thanks

Betty

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 21:18 BST (UK) »
libindx online has the following info:

Reference No.: NM253836
WILLIAM SMITH BORN c. MAR 1900 DIED c. MAR 1900 - it gives his age at death as 20 minutes? (not 9 weeks)
Father: PATRICK INKSON SMITH

it also gives a parish register reference number but i have no idea what that might refer to...
Parish Register: MF C Rh1 (C595)

i hope it might provide a clue for you.

kind regards,
Lorna.

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 October 07 14:15 BST (UK) »
First of all apologies for not thanking you sooner.  I had missed your reply.

I am afraid this is not the same William Smith.  I ordered his death certificate.  His father was William Smith and his mother was Isabella McKenzie.

Thanks anyway.

Betty

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 October 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
libindx online has the following info:

it also gives a parish register reference number but i have no idea what that might refer to...
Parish Register: MF C Rh1 (C595)

It's the Moray Heritage Centre system of cataloguing information

MF means it's a microfilm
C means it contains burial records
Rh means it refers to somewhere in the parish of Rathven
1 means it is the first film of this set
(C595) means that the person indexed is in Section C, lair no 595, of the burial ground.

I would need to look at the film to be sure which burial ground, but it is probably the main cemetery at Buckie.

If your William isn't in LIBINDX I believe it means that there wasn't an obit in the Northern Scot, because as far as I know the NS has been indexed for that year.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.