Author Topic: Lambourn 1841 Census - HONEY  (Read 7593 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lambourn 1841 Census - HONEY
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daryl,
Went to the Berkshire Record Office yesterday and checked the Baptismal register for your Ambrose son of John and Eliza Honey, I found when checking for my own in Horningsham that the Vicar had annotated some of the records with the Birth date, or the age of the child, so thought that might be a possibility for your Ambrose.
Sorry, just the entry :'(
The entry is:
Baptism solemnized in the Parish of Chipping Lamborne, in the County of Berks in the Year 1844.
When Baptized       Childs                        Parents Name
                           Christian Name,      Christian      Surname   
14th April,           Ambrose Son of      John and Eliza,   Honey
no 782.
Abode         Quality Trade,Profession,   By whom performed
Church Lamborne,    Laborer                    Edwd.Thompson Vicar

I then checked the General Register Office Index of Births (Fiche) for you,  Unfortunately the fiche is almost impossible to read, there is one entry that could possibly have resembled Ambrose and Honey but I wouldn't like to say that it was with any certainty, and I couldn't make out the District at all. Maybe a look up at the Family Records Centre may help, the records may be clearer, I don't know as I have never been.
Will double check the census next time I go. hopefully next week, sorry but ran out of time.
Crown copyright acknowledged
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daryl,
Went to the BRO yesterday to check the entry for the 1851.HO107/1686. Film 4
Martha Honey entry - I asked the archivist to verify the entries for me just to make sure
is as before, definitely,
Folio 590
Address- Newbery Street, Martha Honey, Head, Mar'd age 79 - the only query is that this age looks like a 9 compared to others on the page but it may just be a bad 4, the tail of the nine in other cases is curved and the top of the nine barely meets, as in this case, so it may be a bad 4 or a bad 9. Profession/Rank - Almsmans wife. b Berks Lambourne
Folio 629 Adddress - Churchyard, For John Honey, again checked by archivist to confirm
John Honey, Age 70,  Head, Widr, Profession - in Alms House (Gamekeeper) b Berks Lambourne.
The Archivist thought it may be worth checking to make sure there isn't a burial for a Martha Honey (Johns wife), there may be 2 Martha's, do you know if thats a possibility or is Charlotte definitely one of yours (the Martha listed above daur)
What a puzzle, the other possibility (again from the archivist) is that it is just an error and John is really mar'd and not a wid'r?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Daryl_P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 March 05 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Newbie.  The more I think about it the more I am inclined to think John was not a widow despite the census record.  Eventually I will order both death certificates and see if I can confirm they were husband and wife.  I know Charlotte's Christening record shows her the Daughter of John and Martha so I feel fairly confident I am on the correct path.   

Daryl
In England - Honey, Mace, Steptoe, Tull, Greenyer, Ayres, Walker

In USA - Polley, Thacker, Ford, Carey, Applegate, Spriggs, Peacock, Morgan, Caudill, Coyle, Robiinson, Boone...