Author Topic: Could my ancestor have recorded his dead wife on the census?!  (Read 3468 times)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Could my ancestor have recorded his dead wife on the census?!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 18:03 BST (UK) »

Turvey is a rare surname and Matilda is a rare forename, as is Dennis.  I'm 100% sure it's the death for Matilda.  I thought that I did have his death certificate but I can't seem to find it! :(  I do remember thinking that things on the death certificate weren't right.  I would've added the date onto my tree, but I haven't.  However, I do keep certificates that I think are wrong and this one I was just a bit sceptical about, but it must be the right one, same with Matilda's death.

Andrew

That needs to be tempered by the consideration that both Dennis and Matilda could be family names, in which case the forename-surname combination isn't so very unlikely.

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 20:56 BST (UK) »
There's a Dennis Turvey on an Ancestry tree - is that yours?

There are very few mentions of Dennis Turvey in the census records so it's likely that they are all your Dennis.

Monica

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 23:30 BST (UK) »
HiYall

Just thought I'd chip in wi my two penneth ;D

This family seems very confused with ages! and very inconsistent and as pointed out before names can run in families adding to confusion; Just so everyone can see what I mean -

1841 Census
At Bradford street, Aston
Dennis Turvey aged 25 Iron Founder Born within the county(BWIC)
Matilda aged 25 BWIC
John T aged 7 BWIC
Joseph aged 2 BWIC
HO107/1148;  Folio: 10; Page: 13;
Marriage 17 Aug 1829 ST Mary's Handsworth, Stafford Matilda Allen & Dennis Turvey (IGI) (were they both 14 - 19 when married?)

On the IGI there are four christenings that list the parents as Dennis & Matilda Turvey
1. JOSEPH TURVEY - Gender: Male Christening: 22 OCT 1838 Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England

2. EMMA TURVEY - gender: Female Christening: 17 MAR 1847 Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England

3. EMMA TURVEY -Gender: Female Christening: 31 MAY 1847 Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England

4. JOHN TURVEY -Gender: Male Christening: 23 DEC 1833 Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England

*Emma christened twice by the same parents within 2 months; same Parish? + first child christened (surviving birth and christened) born 5 years after marriage?

1851 census Birmingham St Mary's 6 Russell Street;

Dennis aged either 59 or 39 (looks more like 59 to me!) Fruiter born Birmingham
Wife Matilda aged 39 Born Birm.
Son John aged 17 Born Birm
Son Joseph aged 12 Born Birm.
Dau Emma aged either 11 or 4 (looks more like 11 but from IGI evidence must be 4)
HO107/2057; Folio: 343; Page: 17

1861 census

New Canal Street Birmingham St Peter
Dennis Turvey Fishmonger aged 38 born Birm
Ellen Wife aged 22 born Birm
Emma aged 14 born Birm
RG9/2148; Folio: 100; Page: 55

Professions are also a bit iffy Iron founder >Fruiter :o >Fish monger ?

Whatdaya Think?

Cheers :-*
Jan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 23:42 BST (UK) »
I'm quite sure he's 39 on the 1851.  Both Dennis and Matilda were born in the same year and 39 fits perfectly with their ages.  Plus, Dennis's parents are on the 1841 aged 56 and 57 (transcribed as Sarvey on Ancestry  ::) ).  The occupation doesn't really surprise me.  On my GGG Grandfather's marriage, his father is a general dealer.  My GGG Grandfather was a chandelier maker.  They are 25 on the 1841 because the were both born in August 1811, making them about 29 1/2 when the 1841 was taken, and ages were rounded down to the nearest 5.  They were both 18 when they married.

Andrew

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 July 07 09:19 BST (UK) »
LOL Wendi - many of the widowers in my tree, particularly those with children to care for, scarcely waited till the wife was cold before moving on ;)

I have examples of that, too, but the children have been very young.  Emma would have been old enough to manage the house for her father if Matilda had died.

Andrew - You'd think with an unusual name like Dennis Turvey, it would be easy to find out everything about him!  I've got one case where the wife changes from Ann to Jane and back to Ann between three censuses - similar ages, same occupation, born in local town.  I'm sure it's the same woman throughout but how can you prove it? 

The job changes aren't unheard of.  Another of my ancestors has dramatic changes of jobs in each census - Ag lab, Cab driver, Pork Butcher and Retired Publican but it's definitely the same man.

Do you have the death certificate for Matilda?  That may be the only way to confirm who the wife in 1861 is.

I hope you're able to solve this puzzle.
Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk