Author Topic: Searching by address in Ancestry.com  (Read 1876 times)

Offline SamiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Searching by address in Ancestry.com
« on: Wednesday 25 July 07 16:05 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry if this topic has already come up, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Does anyone know if it is possible to search by address in Ancestry.com?  My GGrandfather was illegitimate, and the only clue I have to his mother is her name and the address she was living when she registered his birth.  As he was born in 1866, I was hoping to look at the same address in the 1861 & 1871 censuses (censi?) and see if his mother and/or family was still at that address.
Would appreciate any advice.
Best
SamiW
Wilkie - Aberdeenshire;  Singer - Aberdeenshire; Counsell - India; Pike -  Bucks., Leics.; Cock - Devon (St. Giles in the Wood); Gay - Somerset; Tucker - London; Newman - London

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Searching by address in Ancestry.com
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, you need to look at the enumerators description of the district that you believe the street to be in.

In the relevant census year, click on the County, then Civil Parish that you need ...  a list of Districts will be displayed - next to each district is the 'Enumerators description' of the walk he took thru the district ....

you have to plod thru these looking for the street address.... if you're not on BroadBand dont bother   ;)

shout if you need help  :)

PS. If the surname in question is still around in either of those census, this might help you focus down on a district
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 16:26 BST (UK) »
there are also some street indexes, but not for all areas/districts.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 16:33 BST (UK) »
Not in Ancestry PJ !  ;)

Offline SamiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 16:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry Newf - SHOUT!
I'm being really thick here.  How do I reach the place to click on the county?  I filled in the details, chose the census year, but got stuck then......
Help ???
SamiW
Wilkie - Aberdeenshire;  Singer - Aberdeenshire; Counsell - India; Pike -  Bucks., Leics.; Cock - Devon (St. Giles in the Wood); Gay - Somerset; Tucker - London; Newman - London

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 16:43 BST (UK) »
LOL.

OK, assuming you are on the 1861 Census screen, scroll down past all the verbage under the actual Search box stuff - should see a list of counties ... click on yours to reveal a list of Civil Parishes ....

Take it from there ?

Offline SamiW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 17:00 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!  ;D  Thanks so much.  Now for a long night of street hunting.
Best
SamiW

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sami

I normally go to this site and put the address in for the 1901 census, if it still there it will give you the parish details, and then go to ancestry and do as Newf says, sometimes it works and sometimes it dont, but if you get the details from the 1901 its not normally to far out on earlier census's, its better than taking a guess at it

http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 July 07 17:21 BST (UK) »
good advice young Rickster !

the big advantage is that the 1901 gives the Ecclesiastical Parish and Ward  .... which is the order in which Ancestry (usually) lists the Districts  .... if you follow me  :)