Author Topic: Is it possible....  (Read 1575 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible....
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 July 07 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Di

There are articles about your tombstone (I gather in Ware  :)  :)  ) in Oxford journals but I think you need a sub or similar to read it online

http://nq.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/citation/s11-IV/97/379-d

Have you written a blog on your trip - longing to hear all about it - or have I missed your scribes?

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 July 07 04:26 BST (UK) »
The gravestone is mentioned in 'A Topographical Dictionary of England' published in 1848.

See:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=51377

JAP

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 July 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
That's interesting JAP - looks like the headstone has been around for a long while then - although recently replaced from appearances. Still dont know if he really was that old though  ???

Thanks Trish for the Oxford link as well. Shame you need a sub to view any further.
I haven't written anything about the BIG trip but did take lots of pics which I'll forward ASAP. Sorry - I couldn't find the headstone you were looking for though   :(
I'll be in touch (when I get my brain in gear  ::) )

Cheers

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 07 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello  Folks

Was just reading a F.History magazine this evening and will quote some information given there on long-lived ancestors.

One parish register in Shropshire showed ' Mary the wife of Joseph Yates of Lizard Common was buried August 7th 1776. Aged 127 years '.

This was topped by an intriguing story on one Henry Jenkins born Ellerton-on-Swale in 1500 - died Bolton on Swale in his 169th year in 1670.

There was even a memoir written on Henry - who because of his great age was often summoned as a witness to give evidence on ancient rights and usages.
A momument was erected to Henry in Bolton-on-Swale churchyard (public subscription) stating his age of 169 years.

Furthermore:-

The proofs on which the great age of Jenkins rests have been examined and sifted with the greatest severity and care, in order, if possible to detect the slightest fallacy; but the fact appears to be established beyond the reach of reasonable doubt.

I was going to say '  I rest his case'  but I can't quite believe it myself ::)