Author Topic: how do i go about this? - advice please  (Read 999 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
how do i go about this? - advice please
« on: Thursday 26 July 07 14:51 BST (UK) »
this is abit awkward and i'm not sure what to do next.

My nans dad so my great grandfatehr married my nans mum (obvs.) he went away to war (WW2) and wrote to say he had met another woman and wouldn't be returning, he did return albeit breifly to try and get a divorce but my nans mum wasn't having any of it.

anyway he set up home with another woman, i am not sure if they actually married, children were produced and all contact was 'lost' with our family.

anyway i have been doing my family tree for awhile now and had limited information for my great grandfather but was finding more and more out about his family but not him.

my tree is on GR and i contacted someone on there with his sister in her tree.

I said i think we are connected, but did not tell her the full stroy as i was not sure if we were 'hidden' and i told her the name of a cousin of my nans and where the parents of my great grandfather (and his sister) lived in the 1950's also a husband for another sister, and where this sister lived and worked at one time. all of this info. matched hers but she now says she is not related to us, i must have her confused with someone else.
there are just too many matches for it to be wrong.

my great grandfather died after WW2 and before 1955, i have narrowed the years down to these as my nan was still working and she had her first children (they were twins) in 1956
she said ' my dad was dead for 5 years before we found out and another woman was cashing his pension but my mum never did claim the money back'

so where do i go from here? we would like contact with this side of the family.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: how do i go about this? - advice please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 07 16:03 BST (UK) »
This was a very common scenario after the war, I gather.  Men came home to a marriage that was effectively dead - whoever's fault it was - and started another family elsewhere.  Your contact clearly understands the story but doesn't want to acknowledge these events.  There really isn't anything you can do to make a relationship with this side of the family right now.  Store all your research - the next generation will probably have a different attitude.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 07 04:57 BST (UK) »
toni*,

Perhaps the problem is that your contact is embarrassed - not knowing whether you know the full story (you say you didn't mention it to her)?

Perhaps it would be worth a further approach very briefly explaining that you are aware that your Ggf left your Ggm and started another family but, in your view, that is all in the past and you would be very pleased to make contact with any descendants of your Ggf or of his siblings, and to share your research into his ancestry.

JAP

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 07 08:40 BST (UK) »
thank you for the replies, yes maybe they are embarrassed about the situ.
or maybe they simply didn't know about our family and therefore think i am strange saying we are connected. the perosn on GR said she would ask her mother andthen get back to me, which i presume she did as she came back to me and said i don't think we are connected i must have confused the family with someone else. perhaps i should explain it further.
my nan would love to know about the half siblings.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
Always worth another try, I'd say.  The worst that can happen is that the contact either ignores you or repeats what she said earlier.  If that happens you are no worse off.  But it just might be that, the embarrassment out of the way, the contact will be happy to correspond further.

JAP

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 07 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

thanks all for your advice, i contacted the person on GR again over the weekend and supplied her with all the info. i had and also listed the coincidences, she came back to me to let me know she would check it out with her parents, which she did, she has contacted me again and has a huge amount of information to give to me, i am glad my second try at contacting her proved more positive and it has all worked out well. - i think at first she didn't know the course of events and she thought i was a strange person (weird strange) saying we were connected.
her mother turns out to be my nans cousin.

a happy ending  :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 07 17:04 BST (UK) »
Great news, toni*

All the best,

JAP