Author Topic: Northampton Borough Gaol Prison and House of Correction.  (Read 23410 times)

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Northampton Borough Gaol Prison and House of Correction.
« on: Thursday 26 July 07 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would be really greatful for any information regarding th Northampton Gaol Prison and House of Correction as my great great great grandparents were the govenor and matron there during the 1841 census.  Their names were William and Ann Wootton, both were aged 60 (+/-5) and with them were their daughters Martha, aged 20, a dressmaker and Mary, aged 13.  Martha went on to marry Thomas Taylor in Stepney in 1845.

I cannot find the Wootton's on the 1851 so I presume that they have died, I will look for death records.
(There are 3 possible deaths before the 1851 census for William Wootton in Northamptonshire, 1843 and 1851 in Brackley and 1850 in Northampton and 2 for Ann in 1844 in Pottersbury and 1848 in Brackley)

Anyway back to the main point of my posting, I am intreigued about the gaol, are there any records/information about it.  Where exactly was it?  Does the building still stand, if so what is it now?  Would there be more information about Mr and Mrs Wootton.  IGI has limited Northants info and as I don't know where the gaol was exactly I cannot narrow down parishes.  The 1841 states that all were born in Northants, the 1851 onwards gives only Northants as Martha Taylor (nee Wootton)'s place of birth.

Any ideas?

Thank you in anticipation
Legs
xxxx

PS the 1841 census refs are HO107/814 book 9 folio 46 pg 1
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Northampton Borough Gaol Prison and House of Correction.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 07 21:03 BST (UK) »
The old Northampton Gaol was in Georges Row in the centre of the town.  Unfortunately I am not quite sure of the parish boundaries.  Georges Row leads from the side of All Saints Church towards St Giles Church.  I would have thought that it was most likely to have been in All Saints Parish.

However just to confuse matters I remember from my history lessons that some of the inmates who died in the gaol were buried in St Giles Chuchyard.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 07 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi alllegs  :)

Good to see you.

This topic may help.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,173389.0.html

Some of the building still stands as hubby and I usually visit it on the Historic Trails
that Northampton have in September.

The remains of the Gaol are behind the Sessions House and besides that building
still stand the Judges lodgings.

It is part of the Northamptonshire County Council buildings I think although I am sure
David would tell me I am wrong.

We had to pass through the back of them to see the remains of the house of correction etc and cells.

You can find information about the Gaol at the Northamptonshire Record Office in the Quarter Sessions.

Sandy  :)
Census Crown Copyright

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 07 20:57 BST (UK) »
If you stand in Georges Row with All Saints Church on your left the County Council Buildings used to be on your right and the Town Council Guildhall a little further up on your left.  The main entrance to the County Council Buildings used to be down Guildhall Road which is first on the right.  That is down by the museum where all the details of your shoemaker ancestors are held.

Mind you I don't know what has moved in the last 20 years.

The gaol and coroner's office moved into the police station in the Mounts many years ago.

David 
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline alllegs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 July 07 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi David and Sandy,

Thank you muchly for the info, I am so intreigued by this family and their lives.  I think a trip to Northampton is due as I have shoemakers from Earls Barton and Northampton too.  Anyone fancy being a tour guide?!

Love
Legs
xxxx
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
DUR-Bainbridge,Hodgson,Richardson,Walker,Thompson,Armory,Wynn,Humble,Dunn,Chapman,Herin
YKS-Bradley,Hellawell,Dransfield,Sanderson,Gledhill,Mallinson,Tyas,Thornton,Nobel,Brook,Senior,Bower,Kay,Hirst,Smith,Lockwood, Clayton,Rollinson,Swallow
NTHNTS-Hubbard,Line,Goate,Tyler,Weed,Warren,Brown,Hollowell,Bird,Kirby,Dolby,Gilbert,Wootton
NFK-Burton,Myhill,Fisher,Thompson
LNRK-Neilson,Dudson,Forrest,McNight,Paterson
WL-Williams

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 07 09:57 BST (UK) »
Love to guide you alllegs.  :) well one area anyway.

What family do you have in Earls Barton as I have a few non-conformists records for the area.

The info David said is right about the main entrance being in Guildhall Rd to the County
Council Offices. I used to work opposite it for years.

We went through the Sessions House and then passed through the building next door
to the right that lead into the County Council Chambers and lastly into the back of the
old gaol which is in the court-yard.

Unless you know the area is there you would be totally un-aware of the history that
can still be gleaned from it.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 07 09:58 BST (UK) »
Just remembered the Weeds as being one of the family Barton way.  :)

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline nadine a

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I came Across your post and wondered if you could help me please ,My Grandmothers Gt Gt Grandfather Rihard Taylor States On his 1851 Census Ag Lab A Prisoner in the Lock up, I See Your Chat is concerning Northampton Prisons and wondered if you knew what this means

Gratefull for for any Help :)
ward, Harris, Bevan, Evans, Allen, Taylor, Radwell, Blackwell, Cherry, Bradshaw

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Without knowing precisely where that census was taken it is difficult to be specific.  Many small towns had a "lockup".  These were the equivalent to today's police cells and were usually transitory.  Thus they would be occupied by someone just arrested and awaiting trial.   The check to make in the census is on the number of occupants that should be very small.  Whereas a local gaol would be occupied by larger numbers.

David