Author Topic: Kingshead Cottages, Llanfihangel Rhydithon, Rads  (Read 8440 times)

Offline WhereRthey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kingshead Cottages, Llanfihangel Rhydithon, Rads
« on: Thursday 26 July 07 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've recently discovered that some of my ancestors lived in 'Kingshead' Cottages, Llanfihangel Rhydithon.  I went to visit the cottages and took some photos (the cottages are being severely modernised at the moment) but would love to know about their history.
Does anyone know when they were first built?
Does anyone know why they (about 10 in a row) were built?
Does anyone know for whom they were built?
I have found my ancestors living there in 1841, 1851 census.
I know one had a shop there and I believe one cottage was a pub?
Any advice as to where I could find information/photos on these buildings would be very gratefully received.
Thanks for any help.

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Kingshead Cottages, Llanfihangel Rhydithon, Rads
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 07 06:10 BST (UK) »

Perhaps Powys family history society can help .

Offline WhereRthey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 July 07 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for this suggestion too. I did think of that and looked through the Powys Chronicl for back numers but didn't find anything relevant.

As I seem to want to know so much, I think it is a very good idea to visit their site with a view to joining and then asking for help there.

Thanks again for your help on both of my queries, I do appreciate it.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 January 08 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Just as a point of interest and coincidence which won't be probably a lot of help to you, I have had some relatives living at that location.

I'm not sure if it was in the public house, the Kings Head, or in the cottages.

In the 1881 census, RG11, Folio 5474/97, Page 6, I have a female by the name of Mary Anne Bray living in Kings Head. She was to become the mother in law of my great uncle, John David Thomas Humphreys. She was living there with her parents, John and Martha Lloyd. Her daughter, Madeline Lloyd Bray, who my great uncle married, is living down the road at the Burton Arms Inn, Llandegley as a boarder.

In 1893 my great uncle, who by this time had become a Baptist minister, married Madeline Lloyd Bray at the nearby Baptist Church, Dolau. On their marriage certificate they both give their address as Kings Head.

Good luck with your research.
 :)

Amendment----- having dome some further checking it appears it was the cottages they lived in.....5 Kings Head Cottges. Although they seem to come and go in various censuses. They are from Llanfihangel itself.
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline WhereRthey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 January 08 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply.  My family seems to have left the Kingshead Cottages some time after the 1851 census - parents probably died and I know all children moved elsewhere.

However, I am always very interested in the 'whole' story about people and places, so am very grateful for your reply.  I have also heard from another source about her grandfather dying in one of the cottages c1901.  They have certainly seen some history!

How lucky for you to be able to find out so much about your ancestors and where they lived.  I found the marriage registration of my gt gt grandparents who married in Llanfihangel Rhydithon Church in 1844.   Evan Powell, my gt gt grandfather was working/living in Dolau at the time and Anna Maria Edwards,(my gt gt grandmother)who  was living in the Kingshead cottages.  The full address for these is given as Llanfihangel Rhydithon although geographically they seem nearer to Dolau as far as I am concerned.  Anna Maria's parents and some siblings continued to live in the cottages until some time after 1851 (census).  I was unable to trace them after that.

I find all this so fascinating.... also I enjoy being able to chat to others who have the same enthusiasm.  Thanks for your response!

Offline Hugh BlacK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 June 08 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
This probably isn't much help either but I lived in Llanfihangel as a child from 1959 until 1982.
I had a Friend who lived at 6 Kingshead and spent a lot of time in that area.
This part of the village was called Dolau which I think means field by the river (in Welsh). I have actually been in nearly all the cottages at some time or other and think no 4 or 5 had been the pub.The cottages all had back gardens but have gardens across the road as well. There is a date on the cottages somewhere although again I can't remember where.

Offline Fionah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 08 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I've just found that one of my ancestresses died at Kingshead, Llanfihangel on Feb 15th 1868 - so, to further your picture of the people connected with that location:

She was Sarah Thomas, 79 years, wife of James Thomas husbandman (deceased), and she died of general decay of nature (not certified). Thomas x Thomas resident Water Side, Llandewy, was in attendance. Registered Feb 17th.

James & Sarah (nee Evans) were both born at Llanbister, had children baptised at Llandewy Ystradenny from 1813, lived & farmed at Middle House, Llandewy in 1841 & 1851. James died between 1851 & 1861 and in 1861 Sarah was back at Middle House visiting new occupier Edward Morries (51, born Llanvihangel & his wife Ann (26! born Llandewy).

I don't know for sure who Thomas Thomas was, but possibly a grandson of Sarah's.  And I haven't figured out yet why she was at Llanfihangel when she died.

Offline Hugh BlacK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 August 08 11:11 BST (UK) »
..that is interesting as I think the cottages would have been fairly new then.
The spelling I am used to is LLandewi by the way.

Offline Fionah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 August 08 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hugh,

I stand corrected! I should have used the modern -i spelling of Llandewi. I have seen -y and even -uic endings in my huntings. :-[

Actually, Sarah died not too far from Far Hall, which is where her daughter Ann was working as a very young girl in 1841 & which might have been in the hands of a relative. I should follow the tenants/owners of Far Hall through.