Author Topic: Tips re. finding help with research  (Read 670 times)

Offline themetalchicken

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Tips re. finding help with research
« on: Thursday 26 July 07 17:06 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the life of an individual some of whose papers are held by an archive in central London. Unfortunately I live in N.E. Wales and problems with my health make it difficult for me to travel. I need to find not a genealogical researcher but someone willing to visit the archive on my behalf, identify the relevant letters etc. in the finding aids and then photocopy or transcribe them for me. Can anyone suggest where I might find such help and what I might expect to pay per hour or day.

Thanks, Annie
Marsham, Hughes, Greater London and Gloucestershire

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tips re. finding help with research
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 07 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

I don't know which archive you need but it may be worth posting a request on one of the other boards. For example, if it is info held at the National Archives re service records post on the Armed Forces board.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,300.0.html

You may also want to consider posting on the For Sale / Wanted board
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,49.0.html

There may be a kind RC member who would be able to hepl you out. Unfortunately I am in Buckinghamshire and do not get to London, so cannot offer help.

Good luck and I hope you get the info you are looking for.

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 July 07 01:54 BST (UK) »
The National Archives at Kew have some information on researchers

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/gettingstarted/paid_research.htm?source=ddmenu_research2

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 07 09:21 BST (UK) »
Annie

I am currently using a researcher in London who seems very good and charges 12 pounds per hour - towards the lower end of the fees range, I think.  She would certainly be able to do those transcriptions for you.  Let me know if you don't get a Rootschatter to help and this is within your price range.  I will then pm you with the details.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland