Author Topic: SCARLETT Family  (Read 5601 times)

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCARLETT Family
« on: Thursday 26 July 07 20:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the Scarlett family that lived in or  near Kelsale when Elizabeth Scarlett was born on 24 June 1792.  Her mother was Hannah Scarlett bc 1767 Suffolk.   I assume that Elizabeth was born out of wedlock since no father is listed for her baptism.    I am hoping to place Hannah in a family that will show her parents and siblings.

Any leads will be greatly appreciated,

Bettye

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SCARLETT Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 07 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Bettye

I looked at Kelsale parish registers for some clues about Hannah Scarlett, also the bishops transcripts but have sadly drawn a blank.

I could see Elizabeth Scarlett's baptism (which I think you already have), privately baptised on 4th July 1792, illegitimate daughter of Hannah Scarlett.  As you say no mention is made of the father at all.

I searched ~1767 but could see no mention of Hannah's birth/baptism at all.

In the bishops transcripts (which were indexed by surname) the only other reference to the Scarlett name was:
3 March 1746 - John Cracknell (widower of Yoxford) m. Mary Skarlett
24 October 1820 - James Elmy m. Mary Scarlett (both single)

There did not seem to be any other baptisms or marriages in the Scarlett name at Kelsale at all.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Kind regards
Anne

Offline grib

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Dear Bettye,
A remote possibility, but might possibly be of use to you.

I have a note of a Sarah Scarlett, b. 1 Mar 1809, d. 1882 at Witnesham, as marrying John Ribbans (b. 1807; my family tree) on 13 Feb 1827, probably at Tuddenham. By my count they had 10 children, though two died in infancy. The first is named Mary Ann Scarlett, with date of birth as 1826; it could an illegitimate birth, regularised by marriage. The last child was born a few months after John's premature death on 24 Feb 1844.

Kelsale is a long way from the greater Ipswich area where the Ribbans came from and the dates are not all that close, but you never know.

Best wishes, grib

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 19:54 GMT (UK) »
there are a lot of Scarlet(t)s on the suffolk burial index. quite a few from Saxmundham and i wonder given proximity to kelsale whether these may be related? no obvious hannah or Eliz to fit though.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Maud SCARLETT married Siriol Williams
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 February 10 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Anyone interested in the above who married in Grimsby APR/JUN 1936, Vol. 7a page 1852 I have photos of his war grave and info on Siriol Williams of the RAF who was killed in 1939 over Germany. Humphpaul
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 10 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a Hannah Scarlett in my tree who was born in 1758 in Cransford and wed Samuel Mayhew in 1774.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear Coombs, My only connection with the name is because her husband Seriol Williams was in the same plane as my cousin when it was shot down on 29/09/1939 and his grave is in Sage Commonwealth War Grave with five others in the same flight including my cousin. On Seriols details it has wife Florence Maud and I found the marriage in the index giving her maiden name as Scarlett.
Seriol was from South Wales. I just thought someone might was photos of his grave and info from the RAF. Humphpaul
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline ochrywaun

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 December 11 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I note with great interest your reference to Siriol Williams. Siriol was my great uncle who lived in the family home at 42 Ochrywaun Cwmllynfell ,Swansea Valley. He was one of a family of six brothers and four sisters. He was part of a well known village family of  miners and rugby players.Siriol during his life played for Bath I have his cap in my display cabinet.His brother Edwin played for Neath  and had two caps for Wales as outside half  against New Zealand and France in the 1920's Edwin left Wales to play Rugby League for Huddersfield and later returned to his home at Ochrywaun  due to a shoulder injuryand worked as a miner.My family also lost my grandfathers son Pilot Officer Ogwyn Williams in the 1000 Bomber raid over Cologne. Sirol and Ogwyn were close friends and Sirol was Ogwyn's best man at his wedding.I was named in memory of Ogwyn. I place  a wreath in memory of both members of my  every year at our memorial plaque in the village.I would appreciate any informaton obout Siriol as my father passed away last year and no one his left to pass on family history of this lost generation.
Kind Regard,
Ogwyn Williams

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Siriol Williams
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 December 11 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ochrewaun
I have no family connection but as he was in the same plane as my cousin Charlie Williams when they were killed in 1939 I looked back to find where he came from and found his marriage and as Scarlett is an unusual name I put the query in for just such a chance as this.
If you search on the CWGC site for Williams Siriol died 29/09/1939 in RAF you can get info. re his wargrave etc. and re the cemetery in Germany where it is.
If you would like to send a personnal messege with your postal address I can send photo copies of the documents and photos I have although the one with his stone on is not very clear. Humphpaul