Author Topic: Bishop Kenan, Hugh Nugent, and Owen McCarroll and the Lease for Eskra Cemetery  (Read 1812 times)

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Just thought I would pass on something that came up recently when I received something in the mail from the Clogher Diocese. It was a history of the Diocese compiled around the turn of the last century. But, it has a very interesting observation.

It described how Eskra was part of the Clogher RC Parish until its partition in 1870.  When created it contained 25 townlands and nearly 10,500 acres. The old St. Patrick Church or chapel predated the establishment of the new parish, and it existed prior to 1833 when that chapel was in the Clogher parish.

The cemetery surrounding the church in the townland of Lisnarable was consecrated 25 October 1840. The lease for the land used for the cemetery came later. According to the diocese history:

The lease of this cemetery is dated January, 1843. It is a conveyance of Francis Jervis, for a consideration of five shillings, to Dr. Kernan [the Bishop of Clogher], Hugh Nugent, of Newtownsaville, and Owen M'Carroll, of Corkhill, of two roods and twenty-nine perches, at one penny per year.

It seems as though Owen McCarroll of Corkhill may be an ancestor inasmuch as Corkhill was the townland that my great grandparents, Owen McCarroll and Catherine McCusker, farmed. This Owen might have been known as a Eugene, because my great grandfather was also known as Owen, and with his X he signed the marriage register during the wedding to Catherine McCusker as an Owen. But it was indicated that Eugene was his father's name and they came from Corkhill, but also that his name was Eugene. My great grandfather always used Owen as his name, and we thought that his father used Eugene. But this may change our thinking.

We do know that Owen and Eugene are interchangeable.

The Owen McCarroll from Corkhill, that was a party to the lease agreement, may very well have been his father. Being that there are many McCarrolls in that area, and they have even been found in Corkhill, we must see if there is anything that could be investigated about this transaction. It occurred before any Catholic marriage and births were recorded, and where it will lead is problematical.

For example, the conveyance lease may be available and it could lead to other documents that would shed light on this matter.
Any assistance in this matter, or comments or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jim Carroll
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.