Author Topic: Birth Record Oddity  (Read 1902 times)

Offline jeune-romantique

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record Oddity
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 July 07 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that trish251! The microfiche's I was using only had Alexander Simon with MB appended to the end of his Reg number (if I recall correctly).
Do you know why the births mightn't have been registered until such a late date? My theorys are the children were born in a small outback town, or on an isolated farm. Perhaps the family made a trip to Brisbane (or another city) and registered the births in 1880, thinking it was about time they did so? Or maybe the parents weren't aware they HAD to register the births, as there is a possibility they cam from the UK.

Anyway, thanks for that info.
Cole/Hayden - Chilbolton, Hampshire, England
Higgins - Pembrokeshire, Wales
Popham - Bideford, Devonshire, England
Burness - Fordoun, Kincardineshire, Scotland
Troy - Ireland
Christie - Scotland
Campbell - Scotland
Ross - Scotland
Brand - Fordoun, Kincardineshire, Scotland
Watson - Scotland
Rundmann - Taschendorf, Prussia, Germany
Schonfeldt - Prussia
Gurowski - Prussia
Martin - Cork, Ireland
Roberts - Yorkshire, England
Kemp - England

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 July 07 09:27 BST (UK) »
I would agree with any of your suggestions - I found it interesting that they thought they had forgotten Alexander as well - or perhaps they re registered him because they found the incorrect name  ???

I would think they probably knew they should register the children, but didn't get around to it. The births are all outside of Brisbane. There are no earlier births for MacLellan in Qld, so they either came from another state or were immigrants in the early 60s.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jeune-romantique

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 July 07 12:28 BST (UK) »
I would agree with any of your suggestions - I found it interesting that they thought they had forgotten Alexander as well - or perhaps they re registered him because they found the incorrect name  ???

I would think they probably knew they should register the children, but didn't get around to it. The births are all outside of Brisbane. There are no earlier births for MacLellan in Qld, so they either came from another state or were immigrants in the early 60s.

Trish

I agree. The earliest birth was in 1862 and they married in 1861. So that suggest they might have came over pre-1860. Although since I don't know the Birth dates of the parents (John MacLellan and Elizabeth Muir) and there doesn't seem to be a birth date for an Elizabeth Muir in the records that was born at a reasonable date (pre-1850) or for John MacLellan. I guess I need to look at assisted passenger or emigration records. Do you know where I might be able to access these (I believe I have checked the assisted passenger records to no avail)?
Troy - Ireland
Christie - Scotland
Campbell - Scotland
Ross - Scotland
Watson - Scotland
Schonfeldt - Prussia
Gurowski - Prussia
Martin - Cork, Ireland
Kemp - England

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 July 07 12:37 BST (UK) »
I'm assuming you've checked the online indexes from the archives - I looked there too with no joy. There is a list on ancestry for passengers into Maryborough - otherwise I think there are some lists at the archives that may not be online.

You could also try NSW and Victorian lists - if you check the Oz resources thread you will find more links

Qld Archives
http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/research/indexes.asp

NSW Archives
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/indexes_online_3357.asp

Victorian Immigrants
http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide023/PROVguide023.jsp

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jeune-romantique

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 July 07 13:37 BST (UK) »
I just found some more of their children on the QLD records site and I found an Elizabeth MacLellan who died in 1905 with a father named Thomas Muir. I figured this could very well be my Elizabeth except with her married name instead of her maiden name being recorded on her death record. I also found a John Donald MacLellan who had two kids with a Catherine Collins. They were married in 18967 which is well after he had his last child with Elizabeth. Do you think this could be the same man? But then there's 2 kids registered under the name John Donald who are born from a John (or John Donald), one to this Catherine Collins and another to Elizabeth, he must have really liked his name if this is the same man (or the previous son died). Very confusing, you might want to look this up yourself to get what I'm talking about.
On another note do you happen to have the Victorian birth records on cd along with your QLD ones? The Victorian records aren't as accessible as the QLD ones online.
Troy - Ireland
Christie - Scotland
Campbell - Scotland
Ross - Scotland
Watson - Scotland
Schonfeldt - Prussia
Gurowski - Prussia
Martin - Cork, Ireland
Kemp - England

Offline scrappyshaz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 July 07 13:40 BST (UK) »
Just an idea about the late birth registrations.

In a case in my own family - the father had a 1st wife interstate & all the children from 2nd union were registered after wife1 died & he married wife2! There was an odd registration at the time - but all children were registered after the marriage - making them legitimate? (Also causing some duplications!!)

Just a thought!

Scrappyshaz
HOLTON - Buckingham, Middlesex, New Zealand, Australia
JARVIS - Buckingham, Hertford, Australia
CROSS - Walmer Kent, New Zealand
PURSER - Idlicote, Warwickshire

Offline jeune-romantique

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 July 07 13:45 BST (UK) »
Just an idea about the late birth registrations.

In a case in my own family - the father had a 1st wife interstate & all the children from 2nd union were registered after wife1 died & he married wife2! There was an odd registration at the time - but all children were registered after the marriage - making them legitimate? (Also causing some duplications!!)

Just a thought!

Scrappyshaz

It's a good theory but unfortunately John married his wife in 1861, before all these children were born. He may have remarried but the only possible wife (not sure if it is him) he would have married in 1897.
Troy - Ireland
Christie - Scotland
Campbell - Scotland
Ross - Scotland
Watson - Scotland
Schonfeldt - Prussia