Author Topic: Could this happen?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Could this happen?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 July 07 21:39 BST (UK) »
My thoughts too about occupations Gadget - are there any Freeman's Registers for the area? did any of the children have occupations that might have included apprenticeships?

These are well worth looking into since they would give dates of birth.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 July 07 23:19 BST (UK) »
William only had sisters, but William's father did have 2 brothers: John 1687 and Robert 1699 but I haven't been able to trace either, although I did find a burial in 1721 for  John son of John and Isabella, but no marriage.

I don't know much about the family as I've only looked at the IGI and (some) parish records, so far.  Robert Holmes was a labourer, in 1796, but that doesn't really narrow it down much.

There were a couple of burials with "parish pay" written with them.  Would I be able to find out more about these?  I got a bit muddled up in my last post... William's parents were William and Isabella.  The 1771 death may be for Isabella.  There's a burial for (I think) Robert's mother Elizabeth (widow) in 1793 with parish pay, and also William's father William (I think) in 1792 (aged 94), although he'd be 98 but I think it must be for him.  Must be that good old Yorkshire country living!  It also said parish pay beside him, and also had "paid duty thus far" written above, but I wasn't sure if it was referring to his burial or the one above him, so I wrote it down just in case.

I haven't heard of Freeman's registers.  What would they show if there were any?

Andrew

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 July 07 08:58 BST (UK) »
I don't know if they would have Freemen's Registers in villages, here in Liverpool we have them and when an apprentice comes out of his time he could petition for admission to freedom.  There are Registers and Committee Books and usually give the date they were sworn, and their master or father, together with their dates of swearing, since this was something that was passed along.

I've found people with many different occupations listed, joiners, coopers, hairdressers even.  Worth checking to see if there are any for the area you are interested in as often birth or death dates are noted.

I would expect that there may be church records with details of accounts listing those burials which have been paid for by the parish.  Ask your local Record Office for advice on these as they might be held at a County Record Office, I'm sure they will be able to point you in the right direction.

Have you checked the national archives site and A2A?  There may be Removal Orders or Settlement Certificate details for the family. 

Also search the same sites for any Filiation Orders in case he was illegitimate (often filed under the mother's name).  It's surprising how many women actually filed these Bastardy Bonds.

Check for grave records as well as burial records, a less well off family member may have been allowed space in a grave bought by another relative.

I can't stress enough to investigate other lines that may be related to yours, as I've recently found out in my own research a sideline might well provide a vital clue and if I hadn't been looking laterally I wouldn't have made the connections I did.

Try to keep an index of what records you searched and what dates they covered and take a note of every mention of the surname you are looking for, don't just rely on your memory and try to make time to search a wider time span than just the one person you are looking for, it might save you a lot of time and effort at a later date.

Sorry for waffling a bit but they were just some thoughts that have proved useful to me in the past.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)