Author Topic: IGI  (Read 1497 times)

Offline banora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
IGI
« on: Saturday 28 July 07 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I'm not sure if I'm doing things wrong looking up the IGI but I can never find anything on anyone that I need to look up but when I pose a question to your kind folk at rootschat (in beginners) I nearly always get a reply that "found this on the IGI" and mostly is what I'm looking for, do they have more access than us mere learners? maybe I have the wrong website?

Barb
Buckingham, bliss,  Beatty (Beattie or Beaty), Bullock,
 Dunnett,  Jones, , Keane, Kite (Kyte), Nagle, Sendey, Reid,

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: IGI
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 07 12:37 BST (UK) »
This is the URL of the site:

http://www.familysearch.org/

It has a number of tabs along the top, click on "Search" to take you to the search screen.

Down the left hand side are options for narrowing your search from "All Resources" to just the IGI or the census.

I think we are all learners - some people are just more adept at thinking of possible searches.  ;)  Keep plugging away, Barb!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 July 07 12:43 BST (UK) »
Barb

Please don't feel that you are alone, you're not!  I occasionally request a search on rootchat and get the same answer even though I know I have checked the IGI. 

Sometimes it is because someone has found my answer though the Hugh Wallis site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/ which is well worth trying if you don't know about it.

Sometimes it's just because as Nell says some are just more adept at thinking of possible searches.

I also don't know how often the IGI is updated, that is could be a possible answer??

Kerry  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 July 07 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all  :)

Also, it often pays to do broad searches, only entering name/surname/country and then maybe refine the search if you get too many results :)

Be careful especially with the years. If you enter say 1827 without selecting +/- x years, it won't show anything dated 1826 or 1828!
 :)

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 July 07 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb,you are not alone.

It took me a while to get the hang of it, and I'm still learning! It's actually quite a versatile site and there are many ways you can search.

To start, if you click on Nell's link above, you will be taken to the site.
Then along the top of the page are some tabs, click on the second tab along which says SEARCH.
You will be taken to a new page.
Then look at the list on the left. The IGI is the fourth down.
Click on it.
You will be taken to a new page.
To search you can enter the person's full name, or just a surname or first name. You can enter a date, plus or minus a number of years as Tati explained. You should probably at least select the region and country from the pull down list, and the county if you know it.
As I said it's quite versatile, as you can search as broad as the whole country for just the surname, or you can narrow your search down to a particular year and place.
If you know the names of parents you can enter the father's first name and surname, and just the mother's first name, select christening, from the EVENTS box and you may find your ancestors siblings.
I hope you'll be able to follow these instructions and good luck with your searches.

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 July 07 23:30 BST (UK) »
When searching for baptisms I always use +/- 5 years to hopefully grab everything.  When searching for marriages, if I have their date of birth, I add 26 years on and search +/- 10 years.  If I don't have their birth then I take 5 years off the date of the first child and then choose +/- 5 years.  Also, don't give up hope if the place that you expected didn't crop up - I use google maps and search for any parishes I don't recognise.  You may find there's one in a nearby village!

Andrew

Offline banora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 07 07:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you who replied (COMOSUS, RUSKIE, TATI, KERRY B, & NELL) all suggestions duly noted, I was starting to get embarrassed when I could'nt find what I was looking for and someone would be able to give me information then when I went back to check it for myself I still could'nt find what they did.  Shall follow carefully all the suggestions given and once again many thanks :) ;)

Barb
Buckingham, bliss,  Beatty (Beattie or Beaty), Bullock,
 Dunnett,  Jones, , Keane, Kite (Kyte), Nagle, Sendey, Reid,

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 July 07 07:29 BST (UK) »
The IGI is only useful for information before 1881 or so. There are some later entries, but then it is better to pursue  Civil Registration or Censuses.
 The IGI is a good tool if you want to look at early C19th and earlier.
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline banora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile