Author Topic: St George - Birth & Marriage, can anyone help?  (Read 2588 times)

Offline sandgrounder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St George - Birth & Marriage, can anyone help?
« on: Saturday 28 July 07 16:18 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the birth of Edward Cyril St George who was born between 1922-1924 to William St George and his wife Florence Rose (nee) Slipper.

I've been unable to find either his birth or the marriage in the Eng & Wales & Scottish indices, nor are they shown in the British subjects born/married abroad.

Looking at the updated WW1 pension records on ancestry I found a William St George born in Jersey. His age ties in with the age on his death cert, so I'm wondering if the marriage and Edward's birth both took place in Jersey.

I'd be very grateful if someone could advise me the best way to check this.

Thanks,

Judith

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St George - Birth & Marriage, can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith

I'll look this one up for you, probably on Thursday.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith

Me again

I actually managed to have a look this evening, but a quick scan was unsuccessful.

Can you provide me with a little more information?

You say you believe you have the birth year for William who may have been born in Jersey. Could I have this as it may help to tie it down to a specific Parish.

Is it safe to assume that I am looking for "St George" or should I include "de St George"?

I could see 8 or 9 other St George births. Are there any relatives that could have been born in Jersey?

Do you know where William was in the 1901 Census? I can see one in the printed index at the Archive Centre aged 13 years but not in ancestry.co.uk.

Stewart

Offline sandgrounder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Many thanks.

William is shown, aged 3, in 1891 at Union Street, St Helier with his father Thomas and mother shown only as 'E' and baby sister, Hilda.

In 1901 Thomas is a widower, there are two more children, Freddie 9 and Charles 4 and the family occupied three rooms at 18 Hue Street, St Helier. (All the children have been indexed with the surname George without the St.) The next household in the schedule living in the same house was that of Frank St George, a carter like Thomas, so they may have been brothers.

The death cert we have shows a William who died in Dec 1967 aged 80, which tallies with the age shown in the censuses. The army pension record on ancestry shows a William from St Helier who enlisted in 1908 at the age of 18. This does not quite tally, but I haven't found any other Williams of around the same age, so I think this could be the same person.

Incidentally there is a problem with viewing the army records for men whose surnames have the prefix St. I have reported this to ancestry and they're looking into it and hope to be able to rectify the problem.

I think we should stick to St George for now.

Regards,
Judith

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 07 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith

Well not good news I'm afraid although I have a couple of leads for you to explore.

I can't see a birth for Edward in the range of dates you supplied.

I looked for William and can see a William Frederick Arthur St George, born St. Helier 8/10/1887 to 18/12/1888 on page 37. Can't see a marriage. If he joined the army from Jersey, there was no garrison from 1905 to 1908. Then on 5th Nov 1908 the 2nd Kings Own of the Royal Lancashire Regiment were in Jersey.

So.... if he joined the army, was it the Kings Own? Where were they based in 1922 - 1924? Bit of a long shot.

There is also an Occupation Registration card for a William St George, number 22272. He was living at 7, Poonah Road, St Helier and was (allegedly) born 8th Mar 1886. The only thing is I couldn't find a birth for that date. It also says he was single and had not served in HM forces, so I think at this stage, he can be discounted.

All a bit tenuous but I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Stewart

Offline sandgrounder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart,

Well it always was a long shot!

According to the medal roll on the NA website he was a gunner in the RA and the service no. corresponds to that on the record on ancestry. If we are ever able to view the images of his service record, etc., then it will give us more information. It doesn't say he actually signed up in Jersey, it just says that's where he came from.

The death cert gives no mention of other Christian names, but then the info on death certs can't always be relied on as it depends on what the informant knew about the deceased.

The search goes on, many many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Judith