Author Topic: With good intentions, another mystery !  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
With good intentions, another mystery !
« on: Saturday 28 July 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
Following on from Lady Di’s find of a book she would like to go back to the original family, I thought for my thousandth posting, I'd pose this problem to RootsChatterers !  And hopefully restore these items to the families ... if they want them !

I have a large leather bound Bible, printed MDCCLXXIII (1773) of the size which might be read in church … 3” thick, and approx 11” x 14” in size.

On the fly-leaf it says “Richard Griffiths entered his quarter the 21st of Janry 1799”.  Unfortunately there is nothing more … no family details, no family tree ... nothing.

HOWEVER, when I found this in an antique shop and bought it, there was tucked inside several interesting documents, which I list:

1.   United Kingdom Band of Hope Union Certificate of Merit awarded to Thomas Humphreys (for excellence in reporting a lecture on ‘Alcohol and the Human Body’ ) dated June 5th, 1894
2.   Department of Science and Art of the Committee of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Privy Council on Education … certifying that Thomas Humphreys passed with credit an examination in Drawing, Standard VI at the Hadley Road Elementary School, 1896.
3.   Two certificates from the same Department of Science and Art of the Committee of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Privy Council on Education certifying that Herbert T. Humphreys obtained satisfactory passes in Geometrical Drawing, and Freehand Drawing of Ornament, dated April and June 1897.
4.   Five and a half foolscap pages of what looks like it might be a running debt, or possibly accounts from 1918 to 1925, totalling by then £51 13s 5d.  At the top it has stamped “PRESTON WELLINGTON SALOP”, then written “Mr H Humphreys”, then stamped “Dr to Humphreys, Shoeing and General Smiths, Wheel-wright, carpenter, wagons, carts … “  and so on.     The first item written, is ‘work done for Preston Rectory’; other names/items mentioned are ‘Mr Sankeys cart’; ‘Mr Blackleys’ doors’; ‘Mr Woods cart’ … and so on. 

I’m assuming from the evidence that T. (or H.T.) Humphreys was good at art when he was at school, then went on to becoming a blacksmith.

It would be good to find the Humphreys family, and the Griffiths family of the Bible … (are they branches of the same family, or are the inserts in the Bible just coincidence)?

Over to you RootsChatterers …
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: With good intentions, another mystery !
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 July 07 19:12 BST (UK) »
(That's odd ... it says 1001 postings; I've been very careful not to post after 999 !)

later edit at 20:20

I've been having trouble posting this ... the dreaded 'this page cannot be accessed' message ... so apologies for posting it twice !   I think a mod is on the case ...   duplicate removed   ;)
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 07 10:07 BST (UK) »
Has no-one got any ideas ? 

I'd really love to be able to restore these items to the families concerned ...

I'll post a photo later today ...

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 07 10:26 BST (UK) »
Perhaps a start:

Birth

Herbert Thomas Humphreys Dec 1883 Wellington Shropshire 6a 735

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 07 10:40 BST (UK) »
I agree that Anna's find is the most likely birth.

I found this family, but haven't so far made a connection

1881 census RG11/2680/41/7

Thomas HUMPHREYS H M 62 - canal laborer - Salop Lilleshall
Catherine W M 65 - Montgomery Burrew
Thomas son U 32 - Hooper Shaver - Salop Wellington
George son U 27 - Ironworker - do

Address: Hadley, Wellington, Shropshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 07 10:44 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for Thomas found in 1881

Marriage

Thomas HUMPHREYS

Jun q 1882

Wellington , Salop 6a 1406

Other names on page

Elizabeth ADNEY

Ann Elizabeth ELKES

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 07 10:46 BST (UK) »
Another census candidate is this one in 1891: a 7-yr-old "Hurbert G Humphreys" (as transcribed), son of William (blacksmith) and Mary, b Wellington, Shropshire and living in Wrockwardine Wood: RG12/2133 folio 85 p17.

I myself do not think the middle initial is G, as transcribed - see for example the Gab family next door for comparison of the letter G.  Don't know what others think.

Anna
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 July 07 10:47 BST (UK) »
Marriage: Jul-Sept 1918: Wellington, Salop

Herbert T Humphreys & Annie Jones

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 July 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
Another census candidate is this one in 1891: a 7-yr-old "Hurbert G Humphreys" (as transcribed), son of William (blacksmith) and Mary, b Wellington, Shropshire and living in Wrockwardine Wood: RG12/2133 folio 85 p17.

I myself do not think the middle initial is G, as transcribed - see for example the Gab family next door for comparison of the letter G.  Don't know what others think.

Anna

This family is in Preston nr Wellington in 1901 - the 17 yr old son is Herbt Thos Humphreys, a wheelwright's apprentice, so I'm liking him more and more :)

RG13/2565 folio9 p10

Anna