Author Topic: PR Lookup - Flitton with Silsoe - FARMER  (Read 1231 times)

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PR Lookup - Flitton with Silsoe - FARMER
« on: Sunday 29 July 07 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi.

can anyone please look up the birth and marriage of my gt,gt,gt.gt.gt.grandfather John Farmer born aroun 1783 give or take a few years and married before 1807 when he had a daughter Mary born at Hatfield. I dont know if they married at flitton or if they were married in herts.
I know his wife was called Ann and she came from Weston in Hertfordshire.
I have two possibilities for fathers for john , there is a Robert Farmer or it could be James Farmer.

Any help would be appreciated as I dont have anytime available at the moment to travel to Bedfordshire.

Jackie

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: pr lu flitton silsoe . Farmer.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 07 06:39 BST (UK) »
The IGI on www.familysearch.org is a good place to start looking, particularly in Beds where virtually all baptisms and marriages pre 1812 have been extracted, and the two baptisms you mention are both on it.

But without a baptism or a marriage how do you know John was from Flitton with Silsoe - I can't see him in a census?

You don't need to travel to Beds to consult records - you can order and view microfilm copies of parish registers at your Family History Centre of the LDS

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: pr lu flitton silsoe . Farmer.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
hi David
I have just got home from work and seen your reply. I know that John Farmer came from flitton in silsoe because I have found him on the 1841 Census at Hatfield and the 1851 census.
I have also looked on the  site you mentioned and there are two John Farmers one born in 1790 father James Farmer and the other 1778 father Robert Farmer. I think that James and Robert were brothers and following the tradition of naming their first born son after their father.
I just need to refresh my notes to see when John was born and then i will have another generation to add to my tree.

I will look into visiting our local mormon place and order some microfiches to see if i can find out when he got married and where.

Thank you for your help and taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

bye for now
Jackie

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: PR Lookup - Flitton with Silsoe - FARMER
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 07 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Herts marriages up until 1837 have been indexed (Allen Index), so it might be worth making an Allen Index Lookup request on the Herts LOOKUP REQUESTS board.  If it comes up negative, you can then cross Herts off of your list.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 07 17:18 BST (UK) »
hi Rick

Thanks for your suggestion I will do that later tonight. I know that they had a daughter in 1807 at hatfield so if i can find out where they married and when it would give me another generation of grandparents and also may be having to do some research into settlement certificates. It would be good to know why they moved from Bedfordshire over to Hertfordshire. The funny thing is that his gt gt grand daughter married someone from Bedfordshire who came from heath and reach which is not far from flitton with silsoe.

Bye for now

jackie

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 07 22:25 BST (UK) »
If he was the John who was 62 in 1841 and 73 in 1851 I think I would probably pick the 1778 baptism rather than the one on 1790.

Weston marriages don't appear to be extracted onto the IGI so Rick's suggestion of a look up request for a marriage in the Allen Marriage Index seems the next step

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline jtas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi david

Thanks for your help I have taken Ricks advice and asked for a look up request on the herts site. I am sure that you are right about his baptism being 1778 so I know that his father was Robert Farmer and his mother Ann Reynolds. They were married on the 14 october 1777 so John was their first born and named after his grandfather.
The other John Farmer born in 1790 was probably Roberts brother James`s son also being the first born and named after his grandfather.

Also David I read the link you sent me for the Fossil Digger, it was a really interesting article and I will print it off and add it to my research. It is good to put flesh on the bones of ones ancestors.

A big thank-you for all your help. Are you a member of the Bedfordshire FHS? I recently joined when I went to the show at Olympia  in May.

Bye for now
Jackie