Author Topic: Look up requests  (Read 1360 times)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Look up requests
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 July 07 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Frances,  thats a brilliant idea.

Down  loaded  it . but cannot view, file is corrupt  :(
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrish,

Thats odd,  I have just checked it now and it has opened OK ??? I wonder what the problem is?  I do not have the knowledge to answer that one ;D
Hopefully someone else may have the answer!

Frances :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 06:39 BST (UK) »
I just looked at it - no problems at all.

Incidentally, I hate it when people simply give a year of birth and then, subsequently, one finds out that they didn't know the year of birth at all - it was only an approximate year of birth calculated from a census age!  Grrr!

So, if you want people to give a year of birth rather than a census age, please ask them to say (for example) approximately 1840 or circa 1840 or 1840 (calculated from age of 21 in 1861 census)!

I prefer ages myself ...

JAP

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 13:11 BST (UK) »
Sons sorted out it, working now,

thanks everyone  :)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 13:20 BST (UK) »
On the top of the Common Room, Topic "Important advice on Posting from Rootchat" it says

In your post, please be sure to tell us what you already know and most important please tell us what information your are trying to find out.

You can always tell who has read that topic and who hasn't ;D  A favorite request i once viewed went something like.Grandfather being in the merchant navy and wanted to know what ship he was on.No info at all,i was soooooo tempted to reply but it wouldn't have been appropriate ;D

Celia

Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 13:26 BST (UK) »
Exactly

I often wonder how many "new" contributors  actually read that.  :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 13:33 BST (UK) »
It's very sad, because some of the Mods have put in hours of work on these info/advice messages but I would guess that few new members read them. We've all experienced it and getting information that is known is sometimes (increasingly, it seems to me) like getting water out of a stone.

I've seen cases where the 'helper' has done masses of research and then the 'requester' comes back with something like 'Oh yes, I've got that' and even changes the initial question  :(

I agree with JAP here, it would be best to say the age from the xxxx census. I always like to check back to their sources.

There, moan over

Gadget  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 14:09 BST (UK) »
like getting water out of a stone
don't you mean blood ;D ;D

I've seen cases where the 'helper' has done masses of research and then the 'requester' comes back with something like 'Oh yes, I've got that' and even changes the initial question 

Yes but that is the helpers fault for not asking first ;)
I think with vague requests, to save a lot of brainwork,we are only volunteers, and shouldn't really be expected to be a mathematician as well ;D we should give a standard reply like the one i copied & pasted from advice on posting from rootschat.If that is acceptable of course ;)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thin blood,  Celia  ;D ;D ;D

Perhaps we should try your suggestion  for a while and see. We could keep it in a file and just copy it in.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***