Author Topic: Does anyone know this man?  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Does anyone know this man?
« on: Monday 30 July 07 04:16 BST (UK) »
I have attached (hopefully) a photo of an unknown man with my late father-in-law, Jimmy Maughan.
Jimmy is in uniform, and visiting family (?) in Hawick - circa late 30's to mid 40's.
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know this man?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:01 BST (UK) »
hi, sorry i don't know who he is but maybe you could try the Southern Reporter the local newspaper for the borders, they usually have an old photo in and they might be able to help you find who he is.  Someone is bound to recognise him.
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 07 00:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice Caroline, do you know if they are online? - I'm in Australia.
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 August 07 01:13 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I've answered my own question, and emailed the newspaper.  Thanks again for the tip.  :)
Helen

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 07 05:58 BST (UK) »
that's ok, i hope you have some luck!
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 07 10:01 BST (UK) »
 Hi Helen
 I showed your picture to my great uncle and he recognised both men in it.
 He says that the man in uniform is Jimmy Maughan and that the other is his
 father but he only knew him as Mr Maughan. My Gt uncle lived beside this family in Howegate Hawick. He can remember that Jimmy had a few brothers
 and sisters but mostly he remembers an Albert and Doreen.
Jimmy's family then moved to Burnfoot where they lived above the shops.
My uncle is absolutely possitive that it's Jimmys father on the picture as
he knew them all very well.
 bougie
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.
Moore,Ewes Dumfriesshire;

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 07 10:53 BST (UK) »
Bougie, thank you so much for your time & trouble, and a great big thank you to your Great Uncle too.  He has filled in a few blanks for me on this very elusive family.   :)  By the way, he wouldn't remember anyone with the nickname "Ponty" would he?  I have a photo, but absolutely no idea of Ponty's real name.
Helen

Offline bougie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 September 07 00:08 BST (UK) »
 Hi Helen
 There were three known "Pontys" in Hawick back then . My mum says
 there were two Pontsfords and one Pontin all bearing the nickname "Ponty.
 If you could attach photo she or my gt Uncle may be able to identify which one.
  By the way according to my uncle descendants of the same Maughan family
 still live in Hawick.
    bougie
Bouglas, Hogg, Crozier,Selkirkshire.; Duff,Berwickshire. Hogarth,Berwickshire.; Short,Blythe,Moore and Sproat, Ettrick;  Offord,Gould,Essex; Mcvittie,Langholm.;Armstrong,Chambers, Cononbie.
Moore,Ewes Dumfriesshire;

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 September 07 02:00 BST (UK) »
Bougie, this is my 4th attempt at attaching this photo - brain's just not working today!  The names Albert & Ponty are written on the back - no other clues.  I really appreciate all your efforts on my behalf.  Helen