Author Topic: IGI submitted entries  (Read 5910 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: IGI submitted entries
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 19:37 BST (UK) »
What you need to take into account is the original purpose of the IGI.  To keep it simple the Mormons believe that if they can identify their ancestors and and accept them into their church then the ancestors will be saved on judgement day.

Dates were of very little interest to them only the relationships.  Thus many of the submitted entries were made for that purpose.  The extracted records, many of which incidently were made from Victorian publications derived from the bishops transcripts, contain the dates they found and so are more likely to be accurate.  However you still need to be aware that they have often been transcribed three times with the possibility of errors being introduced at each transcription and for the reasons specified above with no reason for accurate checking.

The two Samuels mentioned above may for example just be submissions by different people of the same Samuel.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 22:09 BST (UK) »
I was also told that the Mormons employ students in vacations to do the entering of records, and that the more they do, the more they earn ... so a possible/probable way in for errors !

(No idea if this is actually true, but it might explain some peculiarities)

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 22:19 BST (UK) »

I was also told that the Mormons employ students in vacations to do the entering of records, and that the more they do, the more they earn ... so a possible/probable way in for errors !

Does this mean they are still collecting and entering the records?  Do they update their site at all?  I haven't been on it for a while, but when I first started(before it was on the internet) I found it invaluable for a starting point, but always check all the information.

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault
Carlisle - Strong, Donaldson, Bennett

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 22:33 BST (UK) »

(No idea if this is actually true, but it might explain some peculiarities)

My experience of Mormons as people with whom I worked and that of my daughter who went to High School in California for a year was that if it was their young people who were inputting the data I would expect the results to be much higher in standard than from other groups.  Although she was not interested in their beliefs my daughter found that as a group they were the main clean living hardworking set of young people that with whom she felt comfortable. 

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 08:39 BST (UK) »
Does this mean they are still collecting and entering the records?  Do they update their site at all?

I don't know about 'still collecting' but they are certainly still 'entering' further records (from their huge collections) into the online IGI.  Some of these show up as the rather strange 'I' batches which are extracted but usually do not provide source information.

JAP

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 19:52 BST (UK) »
potential members of the LDS young people get "brownie points" for the amount of names they submit to the Temple  its all about numbers.

But they are supposed to collect them themselves by research some don't do this research they opt for collecting just any names from anyone who will give them to them.

By the  way my own cousin is Patriarch at Salt Lake City, but I am not LDS.  When he first asked to meet me I said OK with some proviso's
I would still want to drink my cup of tea or coffee and my sons their Coca Cola.  No nonsense about having caffiene free simply because he was with up. and the last proviso was  I didn't want to be converted.

The earlier LDS site had many more names that are simply not on the present day lists for some reason or other.

I am so glad I had them printed off from the micro-fiche when I found them.

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 19:56 BST (UK) »
Quote from: BtF
The extracted records, many of which incidently were made from Victorian publications derived from the bishops transcripts

news to me !!!!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 20:35 BST (UK) »
Quote from: BtF
The extracted records, many of which incidentally were made from Victorian publications derived from the bishops transcripts

news to me !!!!

You are right to query me.  Most of the Phillimore transcriptions to which I was referring were of course early 20th century.

David