Author Topic: two surnames  (Read 971 times)

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
two surnames
« on: Monday 30 July 07 17:07 BST (UK) »
Good morning, (it is morning in Canada)

I have discovered a birth for a relative still living that is recorded twice under two different surnames (on Ancestry).  The page number and vol. number are the same.  Are there any other reasons for this besides the mother not knowing who the father was.

thanks

Kassie

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: two surnames
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 07 17:12 BST (UK) »
This occurs when a couple are not married and the father wishes to be acknowledged on the birth certificate. The birth is always in the mother's name, but if the father attends the registration his name can be included, hence the child is indexed under both names, but there is only one registration certificate.

Regards,
Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 07 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jebber,

The mother was married before and it shows her married name on one page and the name of the person she married one year later on  the other page.  Thanks for answering question.

Kassie

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 19:06 BST (UK) »
Kassie

The mother was married before and it shows her married name on one page and the name of the person she married one year later on  the other page.

This would mean the Mother and her new husband would have adopted the child.

When my daughter was born in 1982 I was unmarried. Both her father & I had th be present with the registrar to have his details on the certificate, and we decided to register her birth in my maiden name.

We subsequently married and just sent her birth cert & our marriage cert off and a completely new birth certificate was issued to us in her new surname.

There are two entries for her birth, both in 1982. There are handwritten numbers next to each entry and next to the second entry it also says 5/84 (This would be May 1984 when we sent our documents to have her name changed)

Because both mine and her father's names were on the original certificate we did not have to go down the adoption route.

Hope this helps

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline kassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks dinie,

I had not thought of that possibility.  Is there any way to find out for sure?.

Kassie