Author Topic: Advice needed, interesting problem  (Read 1327 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Advice needed, interesting problem
« on: Monday 30 July 07 19:37 BST (UK) »
In one of my family lines we have a birth certificate from 1903 and we are trying to determine who the mother was.  I know this sounds strange, but stay with me!  ;)

1.  We have a mother and daughter who both have the same name, and for the mother it's her married name - her husband died 7 years before the birth was registered.  The birth certificate does not have a mother's maiden name on it, which suggests that the child is the daughter's - however, she would only have been 15 at the time.

2.  On the certificate, where and when born shows the Inebriates Reformatory, St Ann's, Lewes.  The residence of the mother in column 5 is shown as an address in Widnes, Lancashire (where we would expect them to be!), and the informant is shown as mother (is this the relationship to the child whose birth is registered, or the mother in column 5) with address again as the Inebriates Reformatory, Lewes.  As far as I know there is no connection to Lewes and they all certainly returned to Lancashire.

3.  East Sussex records office only have admission records from 1913 onwards - is this information be available elswhere for 1903?

4.  Online we have found the following information about the institution: "The Lewes Union merged with the Chailey and West Firle Unions in 1898. The Lewes workhouse was then rented by a Revd Harold Burden who set up charity called the National Institution for Inebriates.  In 1902  Lewes was the Southern Counties reformatory licensed for 130 female inebriates who were admitted directly from court.  It closed in 1910" - does this mean that there may be newspaper reports available?

5.  It took 3 months for the birth to be registered.  Any clues as to why?

I'm not at liberty to give names at the moment as this is a bit sensitive to the family.  But, if anyone has any ideas on how we can find out any more information they would be gratefully received!!

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline custard_pot

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed, interesting problem
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
Thee residence of the mother in column 5 is shown as an address in Widnes, Lancashire (where we would expect them to be!), and the informant is shown as mother (is this the relationship to the child whose birth is registered, or the mother in column 5) with address again as the Inebriates Reformatory, Lewes.  As far as I know there is no connection to Lewes and they all certainly returned to Lancashire.

Hi Jean

I cannot help much but usually all the relationships on a birth certificate are to the child that is being registered. So all the referals to Mother would be the Mother of the child being registered.

Hope this helps a bit

Christine
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Smith, Warwickshire
Young, Leamington /Whitnash / Warwickshire
Somerfield / Bloxwich Staffordshire
Summerfield, Plymouth Devon
Jeffery, Dorset / Plymouth / Devon
Bouskill, Bagshaw, Nottinghamshire/ Barnsley / South yorkshire /
Gent, Blackburn, Wales Yorkshire / Nottingham / Rotherham / Barnsley / South yorkshire

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Christine, it was my feeling as well and holds true with other certificates I've checked.

Jean

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 18:41 BST (UK) »
Jen

This may (or may not) help, just a couple of thoughts.

Is it possible that the family or just the daughter, being only 15, went to Lewes (far away from home) to have the baby and then returned to Lancashire after the birth.

Was the birth registered in Lewes or had the family moved back to Lancashire before the birth was registered.

Maybe you need the 1911 census to see what the relationships say on that.

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 21:57 BST (UK) »
In 1903 it would be possible that a young woman who was not married and became pregnant to be sectioned, sent to an asylum.

If the young woman was sectioned for becoming pregnant and then there was no room in a local asylum she may have been transphered to another asylum a great distant away - where ever there was room.

I know of exapmples of woman being transphered from middlesex, surrey etc to warwickshire, birmingham, staffordshire, where there was no room in the home town asylum they were moved to where ever there was room.

Could the woman have been sent to an asylum due to the pregnancy? If she was sent to an asylum as she was pregnant there may be records in her home town. This would be in some kind of quarter session records.

Just an idea, as why did she ended up in an institution of kinds?

Lemon

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi dinie and lemon,

Thanks very much for your input.  The birth was registered in Lewes.  I think it might well be the case that she was sent away because she was pregnant.  Mother and baby both returned to Lancashire but I'm not sure when.  I think that you are right that the 1911 census would help - can't wait!!

Thanks again,

Jean