Author Topic: Decipher requested please?  (Read 5518 times)

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
Decipher requested please?
« on: Monday 30 July 07 21:20 BST (UK) »
I hasten to add that this is REALLY a new topic. Still researching my MARSHALLS of Wigtownshire, I came across a 1901 census entry for an Alexander Marshall, age 32, in Penninghame whose occupation was General Dealer (rags Shens). What does this latter word mean. Is it a misprint? I will never forgive that Billy Marshall, King of the Tinkers, for having all those children and why are they all called William or Alexander or Robert. I shall just claim to be related to them all!
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher requested please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Cor, ankerdine - are you really related to that Billy MARSHALL   8) 8) 8) 8)

Can you give me the census ref and I'll see if I can work it out.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 07 21:34 BST (UK) »
Just had a look on the original. It's Rags and Bones - badly written, I must admit  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 07 21:42 BST (UK) »
This just gets worse. From Whitesmith, Tinsmith, to Seller of Japanned Ware and now just a common or garden Rag and Boneman! Is there a record anywhere which lists the offspring of the notorious Billy Marshall, all one hundred and so?
By the way what does that FFFFFSFFFFFFS stand for please? Fellow of the Family Societies Furthering Friendship For Fifty-Six's? Intrigued!
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 07 21:47 BST (UK) »
There's quite a bit on Billy. I bought a few second hand books in Wigtown when I was there a couple of years back. I'll check some of the sources and let you have them. I think there may be lots online as well, if you Google him.

The FFFAFFF is from the Photo Restoration Board - Polldoll has started an antifilter club  :)

Gadget

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Thanks for your reply and the comments about King Billy.

I bought a book on e-bay last year, "Tales of Galloway" by Alan Temperley, which had a story in it about Billy Marshall. The other stories are fascinating too. I am gradually working my way through it at the moment, recognising some stories which I had been told at school, particularly "Aiken Drum". My Scottish great-uncle was a great story teller and school teacher in Staffordshire. He used to terrify his pupils with his hair-raising ghost stories so they had to be restriced to one a month (sorry, one a term I've just checked) so that his charges could recover their nerves!
Another book I have is "More Stewartry Sketches" by Alastair Penman which also includes an account of Billy Marshall and The Levellers.

I suppose this topic should be on a new post but I leave it to you to decide.

I'm awa to the "sunny" garden to do a bit of "pottering"......
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ankerdine

Have you contacted the Dumfries & Galloway Family History Society about him? I'm sure someone there might have done a tree for him. They're very helpful:

http://www.dgfhs.org.uk/

Also, try the Scottish Genealogical Society:

http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/

And Electric Scotland:

http://www.electricscotland.com/

and ask on the Talking Scot forum:

http://www.talkingscot.com/

Gadget   :)