Author Topic: Surname Morrison  (Read 2327 times)

Offline julie333

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surname Morrison
« on: Tuesday 31 July 07 04:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to Information on the marriage of Richard Morrison born 1850 Arbroath to Elizabeth ? around 1879 in Dundee and also information on Richard's mother Ann Bell born around 1812. Any info on this family would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Julie
Conway, Morrison, Andrews, Lees, Fenwick, Cowe (Scotland)

Offline moscan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The next generation
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Morrison
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 05:13 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Richard Morrison and Elizabeth Miller

Richard Morrison aged 30 Widower of Margaret Laing (sic) married Elizabeth Miller Spinster on 31 December 1879 in Dundee.

Richards parents listed as being James Morrison Insurance Agent and Ann Morrison nee Bell

Elizabeths parents listed as being James Miller Gas Inspector and Elizabeth Miller nee (can't deciper her surname...)

Will happily send you copy of image if you IM me with your e-mail addy

Best wishes

Mo
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br /><br />Researching: - Freear, Walker, Aston, Scanlan, Courtney, Lowth, O’Sulivan, McDonnell, Condon, McMahon, McKay, Brock, Gourlay, Busby<br /><br />Locations: - March in Cambridgeshire, Banbury in Oxfordshire, Mileham in Norfolk, Worcester, Evesham, Claines in Worcestershire, Birmingham. Dublin, Cork, Fermanagh in Ireland.  Glasgow, Stirling in Scotland

Offline Anne Wilson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie
According to IGI, Ann Bell married James Morrison 23rd January 1835, Dundee.

Couldn't find Richard's birth details but found some other siblings:
Isabella Robertson MORRISON b: 1st November 1835, Dundee
Margaret Gill MORRISON           b:30th October 1836, Dundee
William MORRISON                    b: 25th April 1847, Arbroath

Have found a possible birth & parents for Ann:
Ann BELL                                  b: 5th September 1812, Monifieth, Angus
Father: John BELL
Mother: Isabella MUNRO

Does any of this fit with other info you have?

Cheers
Annie
Lynch, Dundee; Scotland. Armagh; Ireland
Wallace, Dundee/Arbroath; Scotland
Henry, Armagh;Ireland
Nielson/Nelson; South Australia
Johnston; South Australia
Brown; South Australia
Terrell; Cornwall
Angove; Cornwall
Trengove; Cornwall
Wilson; Cumberland, Durham
Reay; Cumberland
Barwise; Cumberland
Weiler/Wheeler; Luxembourg, South Australia

Offline julie333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
This information does seem to fit with the info I have. I'm hoping to trace the families back further now that I have some more names. Thanks for helping.
Julie

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 14:53 BST (UK) »
to avoid any duplication of any details regarding elizabeth (miller) morrison see conway family thread on fife board.

Joe
helping wherever possible

Offline julie333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry Joe
Didn't mean to mix it up.  I just thought I'd see of I could get anywhere new by tracing back the Miller/Morrison side.
 Sorry and thanks so much for the help.
Julie

Offline julie333

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 August 07 00:44 BST (UK) »
Looking for the parents of James Miller born 1816 Clamath Angus
and Elizabeth Yule born 1821 Longforgan Perth, James and Elizabeth were married June 1839 Dundee.  I believe these are the parents of Elizabeth Morrison nee Miller born 1846 Dundee.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Julie

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 August 07 03:43 BST (UK) »
Looking for the parents of James Miller born 1816 Clamath Angus
and Elizabeth Yule born 1821 Longforgan Perth, James and Elizabeth were married June 1839 Dundee.  I believe these are the parents of Elizabeth Morrison nee Miller born 1846 Dundee.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Julie

Hi Julie,

1. What is the source of the above information; you cite the births of James and Elizabeth as though they are definite known dates and places - are they? (this will help RootsChatters to help you).  Have you searched yourself for the above events in the IGI (on FamilySearch) and on ScotlandsPeople?  Is there any further information?

2. If any or all of the events (marriage; births/baptisms of the bride and groom; birth/baptism of their possible daughter Elizabeth) are on the (pay-per-view - charges are reasonable) site ScotlandsPeople at:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
have you downloaded the OPR (Old Parish Register) entries in case there are further clues?
(I have checked, via a free search on SP, for the marriage of James MILLER & Elizabeth YULE - it is there on 28 June 1839 but note that James's surname is spelled MILLAR.  Wildcards can be used on SP - a search for MILL*R will bring up both MILLER and MILLAR.)

3. Have you searched for the family on censuses??  Remember, as I advised on another thread, the full 1841 census for Angus is on FreeCEN at:
http://freecen.rootsweb.com
And it and all the later censuses can be accessed on ScotlandsPeople.

4. Have you downloaded, from ScotlandsPeople, the marriage certificate of Elizabeth MILLER and Mr MORRISON (which would have been in the time of Statutory Registration)?  That is the way to find out for sure the names of her parents as it should include the name and occupation of her father, and the name and maiden surname of her mother.  Such information should also be included on Elizabeth's death certificate but the marriage certificate would normally be more reliable.

5. If you find that Elizabeth's parents survived into the time of Statutory Registration (which started in 1855 in Scotland), then their death certificates should (if the informant had the information) include the names and occupations of their fathers, and the names and maiden surnames of their mothers.

Many many leads to follow up - some of which will cost a little; but few hobbies are free  ;)
And when helpful RootsChatters do your research for you they are at the very least spending their time (joekar must have spent hours!), they are very often using subscriptions for which they have to pay (as joekar was no doubt doing), and sometimes they themselves have actually paid for searches and downloads for you from ScotlandsPeople  ::)

I hope that your own research will be fun and rewarding  :D

JAP
PS: I have just re-read this thread and see that 'moscan' purchased the marriage certificate of Elizabeth MILLER for you and has sent (or offered to send) it to you ...  Assuming that this is the Elizabeth MILLER in question then you have documentary evidence of the names of her parents ...