Author Topic: Indexing for the LDS  (Read 464 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Indexing for the LDS
« on: Tuesday 31 July 07 10:07 BST (UK) »
I was in at my local LDS centre today, reading a film they'd got in for me and chatting with the new Director, a very pleasant and helpful young lady.  She has just been trained for the huge and important task of indexing their treasure trove of records so that they can be digitised and placed on the Net, free.  She was in the process of training another staff member.

She told me that they have a large number of volunteers working - so much so that one task estimated to take six months was completed in two weeks!!  :o - but they always need more.  And she asked me if I would be interested.  She will train me and I will work at home, or if I prefer or need to, in the Family History Centre.  You don't have to be a member of their Church, just a willing person.

If, like me, you would like to give something back to the LDS for their generosity in providing records free or at very low cost; if you would like to do indexing but feel you need training and supervision; if you would like all these records to be freely available to all of us - then why not get along to your local LDS Family History Centre and volunteer?

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland