Author Topic: COMPLETED-Little of Hutton and Millantae/Melholmtae Farm, St Mungo or Lockarbie  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Does anyone have a connection to this family?

David and Jane are buried at Hutton Cemetery. As are children, John who died at Cleughheads, Agnes and John.

On '41 census

David  35
Janet 13
Sophia 9
Helen 4
Jane 9 mths

On '51 census

Sophia head of house
Helen
Thomas

I do know that the mother was Jane nee Duncan, as per Sophia's death cert.

The '51 census states that Sophia and Helen were born in Hutton

Sophia died in 1867 and both her parents were deceased, at that time. She married Joseph Jardine, Shoemaker, of St Mungo.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Little of Millantae/Melholmtae St Mungo
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 07 20:01 BST (UK) »
The names dont spring out for me Jamjar, sorry.

Jak :-)

Goo luck though.
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamjar,

I had a look for both spelling variations and cannot locate it on modern ordnance survey.  Do you know of any neighbouring property?

Jak
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 07 08:32 BST (UK) »
Morning Kojak,

I have Millantae on a recent map, it is listed as Lockarbie. I wonder if Melholmtae is a different spelling of the same.

I saw Melholm on the end of an Annandale map. It ended at that point so don't know if it had 'tae' on the end.

It is possible that they are two different farms as the family moved from Hutton to St Mungo. They could have had two stops over the 10 years.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Little of Hutton and Millantae/Melholmtae Farm, St Mungo or Lockarbie
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 07 09:32 BST (UK) »
Morning Jamjar,

Ohh I found it - its in Tundergarth Parish - a tad further north than St Mungo.

Here is a modern Os map of Millantae.

The search continues for Melholm (tae).

Jak  :D

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Little of Hutton and Millantae/Melholmtae Farm, St Mungo or Lockarbie
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 07 10:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is.  :D Thanks for the map.

My cousin and I have been arguing about why it is listed as St.Mungo parish on the '51 census. I would have thought it was too far from St Mungo.

Just had one of those delayed thoughts.

The other spelling must be the same place, as I looked it up in the '41 St Mungo census, I think.

Another trail to follow: On the '51 census there is a Thomas who is 6 years. He is down as the brother of 19 year old sister, Sophia. The lad mother died in 1840. Ummm,  ???.

So, who is the mother? Hopefully, not Sofia's.

Possibilites: father re-married, or had a fling, child is illigit - but to whom -  and being fobbed off as brother.

Sophia is the head of the household. Father didn't die until 1855, in Lockerbie. Where was he in 1851 and why would you leave your children alone to run a farm, if you were living elsewhere?

Think I may have found David, at Tundergarth on the '51 census. There is a David 50 married to a 23 year old! They have 2 children 1 and 3. So, Thomas 6 could also be their's.

Have just got the death cert of David, on Scotspeople. He was an inkeeper in Lockarbie, at time of death. He did have a second wife, but not the one I thought. All the children are listed and there isn't a Thomas.

David was born at Beckton, Dryfesdale. Another search coming on?

Found him on the '51 census at the King's Arms. His age was recorded as 40. It should have been 50.

Jamjar