Author Topic: john foley - makull co leitram  (Read 4307 times)

Offline pottypolly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
john foley - makull co leitram
« on: Wednesday 01 August 07 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I am looking for any info on my Gt Gt grandfather John Foley he was born approx 1840 in Makull Co Leitram he married Julia ( Tuey?) who was born in Tipperary Ireland I am not sure if they were married in Ireland or England when they had their first daughter ( my Gt grandmother ) they lived in Bradford Yorkshire but moved to Oldham Lancs where they had three other daughters Maggie Sarah & Julia
Also if anyone knows of a web site like the ukbmd site thats for Ireland Id be gratefull having never had to reaserch anyone from Ireland I don't know any of the web sites
many thanx  ;)
Meade (Lichfield, Staffordshire)                  Brassington (Cheddleton,Leek Lichfield)               Richardson(West Brom)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: john foley - makull co leitram
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

there is this site : http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/index.shtml which gives some details for Leitrim.

I notice in Free BMD that there is a marriage for June quarter 1871 with possible spouses:

John Foley and Julia Tovey Macclesfield Vol 8a pg 244

the names are quite close. I will look around 1871 census.

best wishes
heywood

had a quick look- the Toveys in Macclesfield (no Julia anyway) were not Irish. If you look at the Leitrim site, there is no place Makull - you will have to probably look for 'sounds like' or similar
Irish records began 1860s so unless they were married in Ireland you will be stuck until you get a proper townland for John.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 11:09 BST (UK) »
had a look at the census for 1881 - it looks more like h than k. On this basis - searched the Leitrim townlands- there is a Mohill.

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php gives an index to Griffiths- a survey done in 1850s - the site explains a bit if you are not familiar with Griffiths.
There is a James Foley in Mohill. That is not say that someone could say Mohill when they actually come from round about- there are a few more in Mohill parish. (The Leitrim site hasn't completed the Mohill parish part).

If you could get the marriage certificate- easier said than done I know- you could find out John's father's name and that would help.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
Griffiths has Tuohy in Tipperary- again a marriage certificate might help.
Looking at 1881 it does look like Barwood but there isn't a townland coming up for that. If you search this site: http://www.thecore.com/seanruad/ you can try beginning and ending searches e.g. Bar and wood.

You can search the Irish BMDs at a Latter Day Saints centre - if you have a local one.

Well sorry that's it. I can't think of much more for the minute. Am going off that Foley/Tovey marriage I think. Does Julia have Tuey as her name on each birth certificate for the girls?