Author Topic: What is a Guardian and Constable of this Parish  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What is a Guardian and Constable of this Parish
« on: Wednesday 01 August 07 13:55 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me please I have today found some newspaper cuttings dated 1850 relating to my gg grandfather who was a farmer owning land and employing men.  In the article it refers to my gg grandfather as Guardian and Constable of this Parish, but I don't know what this means I know he was not a policeman or such like.  Please can anyone help,  many thanks to all who read this,

Regards Susan

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: What is a Guardian and Constable of this Parish
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 14:14 BST (UK) »
Guardian probably means Guardian of the Poor which means that he was a member of the Board of Guardians of the Poor Law Union probably as, or one of if it was a large parish, the representatives of the parish.

As Constable he would have been parish constable.  Another unpaid job but responsible for implementing the parish laws. It would be his job to arrest offenders carry out removals etc.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oly

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hello,

To elaborate on Davids reply, the constable was selected by the Vestry committee and confirmed by the local JP for a term of one year. He was in charge of the town militia list, pinfold, selecting people for juries, a hue and cry twice a year to remove people not on the town books and not self sufficient.
From this it can be seen he had to be a person of standing, although not paid he did claim expenses, included in one bill I read was tobacco, beer and candles.
Some Constables and Overseers account books survive and make interesting reading.

Regards Oli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Oliver - Swinton nr. Rotherham, South Yorks
          - Wombwell nr. Barnsley, South Yorks
          - Sheffield and Wortley, South Yorks
          - Loughborough
Naylor- Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire

Offline Kevinshouse

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much David and Oli for your replies it seems my gg grandfather was quite an important person such a pity that he did not marry my gg grandmother until she was pregnant with their 8th child !!

Kind regards Susan

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 15:50 BST (UK) »
Just to deflate you a little the job of constable was not one that people sought.  They were "volunteered" for the job and in most cases very glad when their year was over.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk