Author Topic: viewing online  (Read 1351 times)

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
viewing online
« on: Wednesday 01 August 07 16:50 BST (UK) »
hi
does anyone know why english/welsh records are not available to view online, like the scottish one are through scotlands people?
Census information, Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: viewing online
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Which records do you mean?  Census records are online for England/Wales

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 17:06 BST (UK) »
hi barbara,
sorry, not very clear there was I?
what i meant was the birth, marriage death certs and parish records.

Kennaway, Britton, Cruickshank, Jamieson, Wood, Braidwood, Swan, Inglis (Dalkeith, Edinburgh, Greenock, Glasgow, Lanarks)
Cotton, Wood, Beckwith, Edwards, Rutland, Burgess, Davies (Liverpool, Lancashire, Cheshire, Bucks, Staffs)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 17:24 BST (UK) »
Ahhhhh!

Well, some parish records are online on pay-to-view sites, and there is a sister site to freebmd called freereg which has transcriptions of some English parish registers, and if you look on genuki under the place-name it will tell you the whereabouts of parish records and if there are any transcripts online. I don't think any site has birth, marriage and death details after 1837, you have to send for the certificates.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline sueky71

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 17:28 BST (UK) »
thanks very much
interesting info, i've heard of freereg and genuki but never actually visited them - something i shall immediately rectify!
thanks again
sue

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 07 11:34 BST (UK) »
hi
does anyone know why english/welsh records are not available to view online, like the scottish one are through scotlands people?

I would think part of the reason would be volume. The number of records from England and Wales would be many times as many as the number from Scotland, so a much larger task. Long term the civil records may well be online - but from recent threads on RootsChat, this may be somewhat longer than originally thought.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,247025.0.html

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 07 12:28 BST (UK) »
As far as BMD records are concerned, there is also the difference in the original legislation to consider.  Civil registration in Scotland began in 1855, but 1837 in England and Wales.  I believe that the registers for Scotland have always been available for public inspection in Edinburgh, which as time has gone on has meant that they are now available to view at ScotlandsPeople. 

To find out the same amount of information in England and Wales, the certificate has to be purchased.  The indexes are being digitised (and will be improved I believe) but I don't think that means that we are going to see the registers as one can in Scotland or be able to get it for the relatively small amount that one can for Scottish certificates.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 August 07 11:26 BST (UK) »
But the LDS are indexing and digitising their vast treasure trove of films of parish records, etc, etc, and will eventually be putting them online, free or very cheap.  Not official registration records, but a wonderful help nevertheless.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 August 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
Not official registration records, but a wonderful help nevertheless.
Except for in the cases of marriages.  After 1837 parish register entries for marriage are quite literally exactly the same as the civil registration document.  Once the LDS have finished with their project and assuming they provide digital images rather than transcriptions as they do with all the census projects, then there surely is going to be a knock-on effect to revenue from certificates.  I mean if the LDS will provide exactly the same information for free or at least cheaply, who is ever going to pay £7 for a marriage certificate (at least in cases where it's a church wedding in one of the parishes they have films for)?
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).