Author Topic: newspaper articles/obituaries  (Read 3750 times)

damnonii

Re: newspaper articles/obituaries
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 January 09 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Yeah I think it's worth a go looking for the death cert.  I thought searching for such a common name as James Stewart would be pretty impossible without spending an absolute fortune, but actually if you search for James St*art d. 1900 - 1930, age 15 - 65 in Paisley + Paisley Burgh you get just 12 hits. 
2 of them have potentially identifying middle names which you might be able to work with - James Kerr Crai- [cuts off] Stewart and James Cowan Stewart - if it is one of them your laughing, if you doubt it's either of them at least your down to 10 possibles which is workable.  Having a better idea of his age would help.  When was his brother/sister i.e. your father/mother born? 

Lora

Offline jannette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 January 09 10:36 GMT (UK) »
hi Lora
no none of these names do ring a bell ,Grada was James Cameron Stewart ,
Gran Janet Buchanan Crawford , she was from Rutherglen
re ages . again stuck , but i remember a search a long time off my Granda died i am certain July 1957/8 he was 69 , Gran i think died around dec 1952/53
an Aunt was born 1898? i think , as she was around 7 years older than my Mum born 1905
Granda folks were James Stewart -Mum Elizabeth Cameron , and they died when my Granda was young , as he was classed as an Orphan , not much is it
sorry

damnonii

« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 January 09 12:30 GMT (UK) »
If only more parents gave middle names. I searched again with a better date and age range and voila 
Stewart, James Cameron, age 38, 1941, Paisley/Renfrew 573/01 1720
So he died much later than your family thought but the Christmas date is right.  27th Dec at 4.50am

He was a starch worker, working in Wotherspoon's Starch Works, not Coats Mill as it turns out.  His address is given as 22 Newton Street.  Parents James Cameron Stewart and Jessie Crawford.  His arm was caught in a shaft. 

I'll send you the death cert and RCE entry. 

Can't see anything in the paper after all, but I think the RCE entry tells you everything you need (or want) to know.   :(

Offline jannette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 January 09 18:32 GMT (UK) »
hi Lora
thanks so much for this , i have been out with his age and place of work ,
i am hoping to try find some more out on other relations
thanks again
jannette

Offline net64

• RootsChat Senior
  • rose doherty nee gill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 January 09 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I got photocopies of my gr gr grandad's obituary and burial notices from 1895 from Greenock Library.
I live in Ireland and couldnt go personally bu the lady sent them to me and I then posted the £1.50 that it cost for them.I got his death by chance by looking through the B M D that the Library has online.
If you go onto the library's website you can email them.If its elsewhere in Renfrewshire you might have to look elsewhere too.

Annette 
Doherty-Inishowen,Donegal/Glasgow,Scotland
Bradley-Inishowen,Donegal
Limerick-Derry/Inishowen,Donegal
Brown  - Inishowen , Donegal
cConway-Inishowen,Donegal
Harvey-Glasgow/Campsie,Scotland
McGill-Glasgow,Scotland
Carroll-Ireland/Glasgow
McGruer-Cullen,Banff/Glasgow

Offline jannette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 January 09 17:45 GMT (UK) »
thanks ,
i managed to get all this now
thanks for reply

Offline ladybird

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Oh golly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 January 09 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sueky
I really think the Coates factory needed to get Health and Safety people on the job  :'(
I received this clipping from the Paisley newspaper about a gg/aunt.

Newspaper article from
Paisley Daily Express dated 8th Sept 1891

"A distressing fatality occured at the works of Messrs J&P Coats Ltd at Ferguslie shortly before 3 oclock yesterday afternoon. Three of the female workers in the mill were hurrying to resume their duties, when one of them, Robina Townsend, stopped about 40 yards from the door at No. 9 Thread store. ....her companions went on and stepped into a hoist worked by hydrolics, to be taken to a higher flat. Townsend arrived when the hoist was in motion...with the result that she was knocked down by the descending guard. Her head was pressed with considerable force between the guard and the floor...and the skull was fearfully crushed and life was extinct....Sincere sympathy is everywhere expressed with the mother of the deceased woman, a widow, who is thus deprived of her sole support...."

I've had it for a while and if I remember right I tried the Glasgow and West of Scotland FHS...or they can at least point you in the right direction

best of luck Sylvia
Main names:
Scotland (Travellers) - Townsend/Townsley, Conway, Stewart
Lanark and Stirling - Jeffrey.
Northumberland/ Durham - Newton, Nixon, Sharp, Greaves, Naters
Warwickshire and London - Garfield.
Ireland, Co. Kerry - Marah/Meara/Mara, McClure, Howard, Melvin
Lincs - Smith, Vinter

other offshoots - Berry, Steven, Craig, Atkins, Fuller, , Stewart, Conway, Heather,

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jannette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 January 09 19:18 GMT (UK) »
sorry i should have said sooner , this search is over i was wrong it was a starch works
i got it for 1941 ,
thanks anyway