Author Topic: Anyone have any tips?  (Read 1041 times)

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Anyone have any tips?
« on: Tuesday 14 December 04 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am just about to set out to find my fathers side of the family tree.

It would appear that he is named after a long tradition in the family of naming the oldest son after the father. So William, son of WIlliam, son of William, back through time...

I was just wondering if anyone could offer some basic tips to make sure I don't head off after the wrong people, since it would seem that the area I am going to need to look into (Hailsham) is not exactly empty of the ROBINS name. Just a quick check without dates makes it look like each generation will have more than one name to trace.

I know that marriage certificates will be needed to get middle names or initials, but pre-1837 I am not sure if that will be much help.

Has anyone else had to look for ancestors with similar repeating names?

Thanks

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have any tips?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 07:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kizmiaz,
For what it's worth there are 18 marriages on the Sussex Marriage Index between 1599-1833 in the name of William Robins.  None in Hailsham, most in East Sussex but some in West Sussex.  Taking into account that most (not all) marriages took place in the parish of the bride.
As for chasing people of the same name, in my experience, it's wise to use the 'process of elimination', so gather as much information as you can about a particular William Robins and see if you can eliminate him from the picture.
Happy to do marriage look-ups for you (they go up to about 1837)
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have any tips?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 December 04 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Kizmiaz

The tradition you speak of is almost the norm right up to the later part of the 19th Century.
My Furminger line come from Sussex and I have had very similar problems with them and the name Samuel Furminger, at one point I was convinced that every child, irrespective of sex was being called Samuel  ;D, thats how confusing it got.
One thing to also bear in mind that if the first son should die, they may also then name any son born after with the fathers name.

Unfortunately there is no easy way, its as Jane says just a process of elimination. Pre 1837 Parishes records are your best option, its harder to track but with a lot of cross referencing and a little assumption you can start to link people together.

My best tip is to concentrate on your direct line first, as its very easy to side tracked on to branches and then you really start to get confused. Make plenty of notes of any family name you come accross, where you found the information and slowly you will start to see a pattern emerge.

The Sussex marriage index Jane offered lookups from is very useful pre 1837, although Jane gave me another 100 or so potential family members that I did not expect  ;) but also solved a few frustrating problems.

Adrian
Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk