Author Topic: Daniel Watson  (Read 14235 times)

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Watson
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 August 07 02:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks,  there seems to be some discrepancies in Mary's age, but I will try to iron that out.  Perhaps a miscopying of IGI etc.  I am not able to trace the parents of some of these.  Both the Waltons and the Watsons did not have their children christened in the IGI church records which makes those people difficult to track.  Thank goodness for census records.  Thanks again.
karen
Marriott,  Clarke,  Jones,  Atwood,  Tilson, Brewin

Offline Exilda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 June 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
The Daniel Watson of Ashwell Rutland you are asking about seems to belong to my family. According to a full family history of the Watsons of Ashwell compiled by a cousin in Canada, Daniel was born 2/3/1816, and is the 2nd son (4th child) of my ancestor John Watson. I am descended from his younger brother John. There is a photo of Daniel with his brother in the FH document (entitled Grandfather Watson seated. His brother Dan standing. Taken before they went to the Bank of England to get their 'Fortin'). Don't know what this means. Nothing much is known about him otherwise. The details you have given can be passed to the cousin in Canada to add to previous knowledge.

Offline toeckes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 00:23 BST (UK) »
I would be happy to share any information I have with your cousin.(  I also live in Canada).  As to the photo, I am guessing that the writing on the photo means they are going to the bank to get their 'fortune'.
If you are wondering the connection to the Watsons,  I am the second gtgrandneice of Daniel's wife, Mary Walton. I am very willing to share what I've managed to compile and would like to know if Daniel and Mary had any more children, other than George.
If you can put me in touch with your cousin, or have him contact me at mahoney@klondiker.com , we could exchange info.
Thanks for the reply.
Karen Mahoney
Marriott,  Clarke,  Jones,  Atwood,  Tilson, Brewin

Offline Exilda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 June 08 22:33 BST (UK) »
Re the Fortin. Yes we wondered if it meant fortune, although I can't understand how two farm labours (although the Watsons are inclined  to be a bit above themselves)from Ashwell in rural Rutland would have occasion to visit the Bank of England to get money. No fortune was ever passed down to us! The Watsons were 'chapel' by the way, although buried in Ashwell Churchyard. The Daniel Watson who died at 7 months old, mentioned by Mike, was I think, my Grandfathers brother, after whom, my Grandfather also Daniel Watson was named. Daniel was a popular Watson name. I will contact my Canadian cousin William McCurdy, to OK you contacting him. He has the original of the photo I believe. Our ancestor John Watson moved to Ashwell in 1803 from Caythorpe in Lincolnshire and had 12 children of which your Daniel & my ancestor John were two. Our FH details re your Daniel & family are almost non-existant.

Offline bedwyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 June 10 22:29 BST (UK) »
These Watsons are MY Watsons too!  Owen Watson, brother to Daniel Watson, is my great grandfather.  I am also in Canada.  Greetings to my long lost relatives!  I have traced the Watsons to Caythorpe in the 1700's.  Would love to hear from any of you!  I have a picture of nearly all the siblings together at the funeral of their father....perhaps the source of the fortune!

I haven't used this chat before so am not sure how to contact any of you.

Offline winker

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 August 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
Another Watson here, John from Caythorpe is my ancestor, direct along the male line, from John -another John -  Joseph - Dan - Joseph - to me. I have little knowledge of Johns ancestors and would love to carry on the direct male line. Does anyone have any knowledge in this direction?
The male line ends here as I have two wonderful daughters but no sons!

The photgraphs mentioned really interest me, I would love to see them, are they on the web anywhere?

I am planning a trip to rutland later this year so hope to gain more insights then,
would be great to hear from any relations, how come you all seem to be in Canada, when and who in the family emigrated?

I'm also new to this but it is an exciting chat to have found.

Offline winker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
hi Exilda,
I recently came across your posts about the Watsons of Ashwell, I too am a direct ancestor of John, son of Caythorpe John and was fascinated to hear about a photo, and all the other bits in the posts on the subject of Daniel Watson. Does the photo appear on the web anywhere? Or do you know how I can get a copy? As for the fortune, my grandfather seemed to do very well for himself, starting off in Ashwell and ending up with a couple of properties in Leicester. Unfortunately, due to family estrangements, none has got to me! Would be great to hear from you with any information you have. I have done some research and yet cannot find anybody further back than Caythorpe John.

Would be great to hear from you

Rob

Offline winker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi bedwyer,
I recently came across your post about the Watsons of Ashwell, John from Caythorpe is my g-g-g-grandfather, directly down the male line, he is as far back as I have been able to find so would love to find out about his ancestors if you have any information. Your photo sounds interesting, who does it show and would it be possible to have a copy?

Look forward to hearing from you

rob watson

Offline Exilda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 March 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
To: Bedwyer
My g/father Danial Waton often spoke of brother Owen in Canada, and I believe his descendents came to visit my family in Leicester, UK. in 1960's? I have also got the photo of the family taken at John Watsons Funeral. I believe Owen's photo was inserted, as being in Canada, he could not be present. William McCurdy, a Watson descendent, has done a very complete Watson F.H. stemming from John from Caythorpe. His email is/was (*). You could try contacting him, I think he would be interested in additional Watson FH.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php