Author Topic: What Have We Learnt?  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
What Have We Learnt?
« on: Thursday 02 August 07 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thought came to mind recently that whilst doing years of family research I've suddenly realized how much I've learned about history in general.
For example:
If someone had asked me about the Derbyshire Revolution, the Boer War, Gallipoli or pioneering families of Victoria a number of years ago, I would have looked at them with a blank expression on my face and thought to myself "You've gotta be kidding" :-\

Now, I am so much more in touch with this type of history in general just from having descendants who were involved with these conflicts or ventured out to make their living away from their homeland. It's made me feel so much more appreciative of what they endured and and I can honestly say I can speak on these topics today with much more confidence and knowledge. :)

Would love to know what other members have learned thru their family history.

Bron
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Have We Learnt?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 07 05:02 BST (UK) »
Members of my family appear to have avoided participating in any conflicts (haven't even found one yet), so I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is that I have learned an awful lot about the geography of the UK, particularly the towns and villages where my ancestors lived. This is something that I am interested in anyway - I really enjoy maps.

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 07 05:59 BST (UK) »
I've learned a lot more history & geography.

Unlike Ruskie, I've found that if there was a conflict, my bunch were there somewhere, in North America, India, Ireland, the Zulu Wars, the Boer War, WWI & II. Haven't found one in the Crimean yet.  ???

Most of them survived too, which meant they knew how to keep their heads down  ;D

I have really enjoyed finding out my ancestors occupations. It turns out, I'm pretty middle class. Who'd have thunk it?  8)
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 07 07:49 BST (UK) »
I've learnt why I always liked Sussex and it felt like home because it has been for the last 600 odd years for most of my family  ::) ::) ::)

I have also learnt to expect a few surprises along the way like Irish genealogy, who'd have thought it! 

Apart from that I have learnt a lot of local history about places I never even thought about like Hackney, Lincolnshire etc and Ruskie I love maps too.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 07 10:29 BST (UK) »
I'd thought of myself as basically a Scot.  I now acknowledge considerable English and Irish ancestry (with all the frustrations the latter brings), and some fascinating French ancestry that I knew practically nothing about!

I've also fully realised the importance of local and social history to situate the lives of my ancestors.  I'm the Tutor Co-ordinator for our local University of the Third Age, and when someone just came to me offering to teach a course on social and local history to complement our genealogy group, I welcomed her with shouts of joy!!!  ;D ;D ;D

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 07 14:58 BST (UK) »
I have learned a lot of geography. I had family in the silk ribbon weaving industry in Coventry and Paterson, New Jersey and so learned about the riots in both those places. One of my ancestors married the youngest person convicted in the Coventry riots.

And most of all, I have learned patience.  ;)

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Quiller

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 07 23:03 BST (UK) »
One of the most interesting was learning about Jewish culture when I discovered that a Great Aunt had married into a Jewish Family. Another was researching WW1 and various battles that a relative had been involved in.

On a personal note I have learned to be methodical in my research and remember that not everyone is enthusiastic about Family History.

Quiller
Cliffe, Oakes, Foxley, King, (Cheshire) Hoffman, Brough, (Hull) Tutin, Raynor, (Nottingham)

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 07 15:41 BST (UK) »
As a historian anyway, I can't say I've learnt an awful lot about history from doing my tree (I wasn't drunk all the time when I was a student after all...no, only 90% of the time. :P lol).  I have learnt the geography of Kent like the back of my hand though.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline adee7

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 August 07 12:26 BST (UK) »
I've always been interested in history and social issues, and  knew something of the Irish troubles, but was surprised when I 'discovered' the Ulster Covenant and found the signatures of several relatives.

As well, I learned more about the lives of my Grandmother's family -- the military placements of her father in India and Egypt and the fact that she and her sisters were born in different military camps in England and Ireland.

As I continue with this searching in Scotland, England, Ireland, Canada and who knows where else I maintain my belief that this is a wonderful endeavour.  Also, I believe that the lessons learned would be beneficial to the decision makers of today if they did their own family searches.

Kathleen
England and Belfast - GOFF, GOUGH, MATHERS, MOXHAM/MOXAM,  OSMOND, PHILLIPS, WINDER, WYKES

Scotland - JOHNSTON, DORWARD, KIDD, KYD, RAMSAY, RAE

Canada - DeWOLFE, HALLADAY, HASKINS, HICOCK, JOHNSTON, OLD/OLDS