Author Topic: What Have We Learnt?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What Have We Learnt?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 August 07 14:56 BST (UK) »
I've learnt why I always liked Sussex and it felt like home because it has been for the last 600 odd years for most of my family 

Same here! and as for my brother, who I do a lot of family history research with, he moved to LAncing some years ago (not having lived in Sussex before) and we have since discovered that , not only do our ancestors hail from the villages all around there, but in 1807 John Edmonds married Elizabeth Parker (our great-great-great-grandparents)  in the church just down the road from where he now lives.

I have looked at the names at the bottom of yuor post and checked my tree to see if my Edmonds's brush shoulders with any of yours. Only one I can find is a Baldwin. George Stephen Edmends (that branch liked to spell the name uniquely!) married an Alice FAnny Elizabeth Baldwin in 1928 and they had 9 children.

But - on the original subject of this thread - yes it is amazing what you learn!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cybermouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 August 07 23:02 BST (UK) »
Also, I believe that the lessons learned would be beneficial to the decision makers of today if they did their own family searches.

Absolutely agree, Kathleen! ;)

Bron
Booth of Derbyshire, Susquehanna, PA and Victoria, Australia, Rogers of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, Denial, Naylor of Yorkshire, Holloway of Staffordshire, Birch of Staffordshire, Pike of London and NSW, Australia.<br /><br />UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Welsh Jules

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grandmother Gerith Mair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 August 07 23:28 BST (UK) »
For me it's the geography of the UK, was hopeless until I started researching my family tree.
Jones - Rhondda Valley/Neath
Harvey - Swansea/Calstock Cornwall
Blethyn - Pembrokeshire
Bowen - Pembrokshire
Vernon - Cheshire/Lancashire
Davies - Cardiganshire
James - Monmouthshire
Tozer - Calstock Cornwall
Brooks - Devon
Bonhomme - Calstock Cornwall/Jersey/Normandy
Massey - Lancashire

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 August 07 03:20 BST (UK) »
In the 1980s I worked (for some years) with an English immigrant who came to Oz in the 1970s. He had done well here careerwise, had a great home, his children loved the country and the lifestyle but his wife continued (after many years) to want to go home to England. He didn't understand why and at the time neither did I. How could she want to leave her wonderful home and  lifestyle - and the weather! No comparison.

Now I fully understand why she wanted to return. We have lost touch, I often wonder if she did make it home.

My amazement at the courage of anyone who did/does emigrate & start a new life in a new country has grown 10 fold.

My interest and knowledge of the countries of my roots have grown 50 times. Sometimes I wish my ancestors had stayed where they were!!

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 August 07 10:56 BST (UK) »
My interest and knowledge of the countries of my roots have grown 50 times. Sometimes I wish my ancestors had stayed where they were!!

Trish

I agree. I think how transient people are now. Of the branches I have been able to trace far enough back, until they emigrated, they were in the same towns for several hundred years. I'm sure they took their surroundings for granted, but how amazing to walk down a street, knowing you are following your 9x ggrandfather's steps (that's the farthest I've gotten back on any of my lines).

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 August 07 10:59 BST (UK) »
Kath I regularly have thoughts like that when I drive to work through the villages where my ancestors lived since the 1400s.  Did they look at this view from the top of the hill?  Did they walk this street?

I find it very comforting in a strange sort of way.

Kerry  :D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 August 07 11:21 BST (UK) »
Kerry,

I find it comforting also. My brother just went to Ireland and was supposed to visit the town some of our family came from. He's not the sentimental type, but I would have cried the whole visit. I would love to get to Coventry, to walk in some footsteps. I would be lucky also, as my 5x g grandfather was an architect who helped with Warwickshire Cathederal and University. It would be amazing to see, in person, his accomplishments.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA