Author Topic: What to do with unwanted Data cd's?  (Read 5802 times)

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
What to do with unwanted Data cd's?
« on: Thursday 02 August 07 15:15 BST (UK) »
What do other Rootschatters do with their data cd's when they have finished with them?

I collected all the census sets for London and some for Hampshire and Suffolk, but now with Ancestry I don't really need them , but need the space.

I have discovered it is illegal to sell them or even give them away as we don't own the information, just have a licence to use it?

Are other Rootschatters aware of this?   and what do they do?  It would be a shame to 'dump' them (and that's probably not allowed either)

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault
Carlisle - Strong, Donaldson, Bennett

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with unwanted Data cd's?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 07 15:26 BST (UK) »
There's a market on EBay for Census CDs.

I doubt that you can be prevented from parting company, esp if the new owner respects copyright and other related conditions.

Not disagreeing, just wondering how enforceable it might be, and if the people selling on EBay would risk it otherwise.

Failing that, maybe some sort of charitable trust ?

;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 07 15:35 BST (UK) »
I was first alerted to the fact you din't actually 'own' the cds, when a well-known genealogy store got some withdrawn from ebay last year and I think there was mutterings of 'blacklisting' them from buying anymore cds

Like you, I can't see the harm in it if only one person is using them and respecting the copyright laws.  I might risk it one day and see what happens, I could do with the cash to buy some more genealogy cds.

Thanks for input Newf.

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault
Carlisle - Strong, Donaldson, Bennett

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 07 15:40 BST (UK) »
Oh, I know who you mean !

2 years back they accused me of using my online sub for doing Lookups - long before I joined RC - despite me listing my ancestors names, they terminated my sub and sent me a bill for the 'Lookups'.

Soon backed down when I did the Online Small Claims Court proceedings.

Greedy, grabbing - are just 2 of the adjectives relevant !

;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 07 15:47 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the ones given away free with family history mags are covered by any spurious rule too.  I have loads of them, I don't want them but don't want to throw them away eithe.

Liz

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 07 15:55 BST (UK) »
I tried to sell some on ebay once and had an immediate response from the company to say that it was illegal and they must be withdrawn.    I have not bought from them since.
Andrea

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:08 BST (UK) »
I don't understand their logic.  The information is in the public domain, all this company and others have done is present it in a format that is easy to read.  We can sell books secondhand if we choose to without the authors telling us they have the copyright. 

Apart from Newfy threatening them with the Small Claims Court and presumably that was because they cancelled her/his sub and sent a bill for "Look ups", I wonder if anyone has actually tested out their claim in court.

Liz

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:31 BST (UK) »
I wonder what the legal position is if you donate them to the local charity shop  ??? ???

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
It does seem strange that they are claiming different rules from selling second hand books but I don't know the law.

Could a genealogy CD swap shop be set up?  - or would that also cause problems?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk