Author Topic: What to do with unwanted Data cd's?  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with unwanted Data cd's?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 August 07 06:54 BST (UK) »
will do
 :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
  • What good is information if not shared with others
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 August 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
All the cds that came with various magazines, and that I do not need, have been given to my local Family History Society.  They have a selection for members to use at their headquarters.   They also keep a stock of old magazines.  Very handy at times!  Nanny Jan 

I had thought of doing the same.  And thanks for the tip about magazines :)

Regards,  Ann
CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/genealogy/

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
I have sold a few original data cd's on ebay and never had a problem.

Just had a look at ebay and private sellers are still selling products from S&N and Archive books. Some are on the brink of being sold (less than 30 minutes) so they have run the full auction.

If I had any originals right now I would put them on. you go for it Cell  ;)

It also looks like some pirates have been put on as well - I would steer clear of them myself
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline joanne56

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 11 August 07 01:12 BST (UK) »
wouldn't mind a pirate myself, Johnny Depp style , swarthy, kind of ragged round the edges, carefree swashbuckler, adventurous, daring and ........ oh sorry ......... what were we talking about?...
Oh yes ....copyright and agreements.
How many of us do you think they might actually SPEND money on enforcing their rights over information that is rightfully ours in the first place? And if you did purchase a CD in a charity shop would you still be bound by the agreement originally made by the initial purchaser?  I think not.  Therefore if your mate sells it for you on ebay or carboot they are not legally bound. You can legally give it to anybody you like or they could find it in a bin or even on the high seas .....oops there I go Again..... and then dispose of it as they wish.

they have hijacked our data and made it into a multi billion $ concern and we really do appreciate it, but like everything else in life they know it can't last and sooner or later all this info will be freely available to all and they won't mind too much because they will be too busy counting their money and investing it in the next mass exploitation.

Hey where would we be without pirates.. ;)
Gorman, Kelly, Shields, Brannan; Scotland/Ireland
Bailey,Macclesfield/Manchester
Parry, Davies; Staffordshire/ Manchester
Siddall, Walker, Mercer; Manchester
Davis, Henshaw; Middlesex/London
Wicks, Harbor; Berkshire
Weedon, Harland;Yorkshire

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 11 August 07 06:18 BST (UK) »

You had me drooling there for a minute Joanne     ;D ;D

Seriously, I'd do whatever you wished with the CD's, I pass mine on to the local history society and they use them.

Barbara
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 11 August 07 10:32 BST (UK) »
I sent this question to ebay seller S&N direct

Could you please clear a question about this product I was thinking of purchasing.

As you have stated this product cannot be resold, do you have a buy back policy? I need to find 5 people and £32.95 is a bit steep if you cannot sell on in its original form.

I dont wish to be stuck with the set once I have got the information.

Answer was

Thank you for your email concerning the census cd sets. Our census sets are all sold with a non transferable user licence that gives the
purchaser the right to use the set for his or her own research.The data is Crown Copyright and copyright S&N British Data Archive Ltd. Sets come with the licence agreement which states you are agreeing to the terms by opening the
package. This seal has to be broken before use.
The reason for having such a licence is to enable us to continue the project of
publishing the whole census on CD Rom. Constantly reselling the same set on eBay
jeopardises this project as where this has happened in the past we don't break even on
the production of that county.

Load of old Bull S*** to me - I would still sell on, if I ever had a brain lapse and purchased such an over priced product.

Now it makes the ancestry subscription look good.  ;D
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 11 August 07 11:33 BST (UK) »
Another way of getting rid of spare FH CD's is to offer them on your local Free-Cycle site ...    check out    http://www.freecycle.org/   (which if you are in UK looks American, but type in your nearest town and see what you get !   Not all areas have set up a scheme yet).

I don't know what to suggest if you want to sell them ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
  • What good is information if not shared with others
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 January 08 15:24 GMT (UK) »

I'm about to sell some of of my CD's on Ebay that I no longer need. I don't see the problem myself. I'll be  listing  mine exactly the same way  I sell anything else of mine from clothes to books that I no longer need 

How did you get on?

As I now have quite a few similar CDs that i no longer have a need for and had thought to put on eBay, et al.

Regards,  Ann
CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/genealogy/

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 January 08 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I think it is software that is licensed, not really sure how the data can be licensed

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com