Author Topic: What to do with unwanted Data cd's?  (Read 5803 times)

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with unwanted Data cd's?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:41 BST (UK) »
If you give them away the company is never going to know.  And if they did find out, what sanctions have they got against you?  Big business is only too ready to bully people.  Turn round & bite their knees  :)
Maggott

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:50 BST (UK) »
yep, it boils down to selling more copies .... they dress it up as not being able to recoup their costs of producing the original census on silver-film suitable for capture onto CD. They specifically say its a shrink-wrap licence, and that the sets cannot be split and sold on ... then they say its a single-user licence......

at the end of the day THEY want to sell another copy, and dont want you too.

Trouble is, if you buy from them you accept the terms stated ....
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:59 BST (UK) »
All the cds that came with various magazines, and that I do not need, have been given to my local Family History Society.  They have a selection for members to use at their headquarters.   They also keep a stock of old magazines.  Very handy at times!

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 August 07 19:00 BST (UK) »
It never even occured to me about the freebies!  The very fact that they give them away I thought it would be ok.  If they are of no interest to me I usually pass them on to members of my FH group. 

2 years back they accused me of using my online sub for doing Lookups - long before I joined RC - despite me listing my ancestors names, they terminated my sub and sent me a bill for the 'Lookups'.

when does this become a problem?  I thought the occasional lookup was ok.   Do you think they have one person continually checking ebay etc?

I think they have become very greedy.

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault
Carlisle - Strong, Donaldson, Bennett

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 August 07 04:19 BST (UK) »
The Data CD's would be very easy and cheap for someone to copy and then advertise for sale on sites such as ebay. Something that sells for say 30GDP could be reproduced for less than 2GDP and the average person would not be able to distinguish the fake from the original. Also, its difficult to tell whether the person selling the CD is just offloading unwanted CD's or a bootlegger, after all only one copy could be advertised, 20 people get in touch and then each thinks they are buying the one copy. A very nice little earner for a bootlegger. The only way the companies can keep on top of this is to come down hard on each ad.
Andy

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 August 07 15:28 BST (UK) »
When Item's are donated to the charity shop .    I do not sell them, I put a sign next to them saying, free help yourself or drop a small donation in charity box,   no way could I throw anything like that away. :)  Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline Dancing Master

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 August 07 17:03 BST (UK) »
At times these bogus discs  that are on Ebay or on carboot sales don't even work, they are fraudulent and totally illegal.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 August 07 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
what about selling them as "Back up CD's?
Or what about listing them as it" buy it now" with a zero price - ie give them away for free  -  but use  your postage and handling costs for the value you wish to sell them at  - For example if you want 5 quid for the CD  and it costs a pound to post it - list your postage and packing as 6 pounds  ;) (make sure you very clearly state how much your postage and packing is on your listing though so you won't have any irate buyers!) - Just a few thoughts.

I'm about to sell some of of my CD's on Ebay that I no longer need. I don't see the problem myself. I'll be  listing  mine exactly the same way  I sell anything else of mine from clothes to books that I no longer need  -They can try and sue me for all I care if they've got  nothing else better to do than waste their time with individuals who are just selling their one off used goods
Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 August 07 06:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cell

Let us know how you get on please

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault
Carlisle - Strong, Donaldson, Bennett