Author Topic: WW1 pension records-is this a death date?  (Read 2042 times)

Squidward

WW1 pension records-is this a death date?
« on: Thursday 02 August 07 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  I have found one of my gg uncles on the ancestry ww1 pension records. One of the pages has been stamped-see below. He was from Leeds, do you think this is saying he died in Royal Hospital Chelsea in 1941 or does it mean something else? Any advice as to what this stamp means is gratefully received.
Thanks
Squid

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 pension records-is this a death date?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 07 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Squid, what's his name and date of birth and I'll check the death records for you

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Squidward

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
 Thanks for the offer but thats just it-I checked the whole of 1941 for a John Callaghan aged 68 or 67, but the closest I found was aged 64 in Glossop in the 4th quarter. I can't see why he would up sticks to London that late in life either, but it's not beyond reason I suppose.
Do you think that's what it means?
Cheers
Squid

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry, don't really know, it does say Adm before the Dd so perhaps that's when he was admitted.  If he was a Chelsea Pensioner that would have meant living in London, wouldn't it?

You can read about the eligibility to become a Chelsea Pensioner
http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/admissions_subpages.asp?ID=&SubID=3

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:29 BST (UK) »
Squid

There was a wonderful programme about the Chelsea Pensioners on BBC4 some months back.  I see it is being repeated, but still on BBC4.  The reason many men, widowers or single men naturally, become Chelsea Pensioners is because all they have to give up is their army pension, they keep their state pension and any savings they have, and then they get free board and lodging for life, plus there is lots for them to do, gym (yes really!), bowls, outings etc. and most importantly if they need nursing care at the end of their lives that is free too.  This means that they can sell their homes, give the money to their families and live happily knowing they will not be a burden when they are very old.

It may be that your g.g.uncle took the decision to become a Chelsea Pensioner for similar reasons.  I suppose in the 1940s, people would be less likely to own their own property, but even so the peace of mind it would give someone to know that they would be looked after would be worth uprooting from the North.

Liz

ps.  By the way, they are thinking of taking in women now as there are lots of servicewomen.

Squidward

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link, that might be an interesting line of enquiry.
Thanks for the extra info, Liz. Do you know when the programme will be repeated? I will look into whether there is any way to look at their records. I know absolutely nothing about the Chelsea Pensioners, I'm def going to be doing some background research now.
 If anyone recognises the stamp and it's meaning, or has any other suggestions I'd be interested to hear from you.
Cheers
Squid

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:41 BST (UK) »
Just a thought, does the stamp mean Admissions Board, rather than Admission or Deceased.  The first date is about 3 months before the second date.  Watching the programme, it seems that men who wish to become Pensioners have to be assessed and stay at the home for a few days.  If they are accepted they go on a waiting list.  Perhaps his assessment and, therefore, Admissions Board was in March 1941 and he was admitted in ?July 1941.  He could have died in Chelsea much later in life, as being a Pensioner seems to lengthen the life of the men, as they are not bored etc. and keep fit, many living into their 80s, 90s and even over 100.

Not sure about the repeats of the show, I know it was on the other night as I was looking for something to watch, but didn't tune to it, so can't say if it was the beginning or end of the run.  I'll check it out and get back to you.

Liz

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Again

The repeats  started on Sunday 15 July at 7.00pm, the 4th of 8 episodes is next Sunday 5 August at 7.00pm on BBC4.  The programme is called "Once a Soldier"

Well worth watching, especially as it appears you now have a relative who may have been a resident.

Liz

Squidward

« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 August 07 16:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's quite exciting really!
I really knew nothing about them, though I had heard of them. Like you say it would have been well worth moving down; he wasn't very well off, and I don't think he ever married or had children, so this would would have been the ideal place to retire to. I just looked on the website timeline though, and it was bombed once in 1941 and again in 1945, so it might not have been all good. I'm looking forward to finding out more about the pensioners, maybe I'll even find out where he's buried eventually!
Thanks
Squid