Author Topic: WW1 pension records-is this a death date?  (Read 2043 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 pension records-is this a death date?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:09 BST (UK) »
There is a death for a John Callaghan

1951 2nd quarter Chelsea Vol 5c. page 280

The age is given as 74 which means your John would have been 64/65 in 1941 not 67/68 as you thought.  I'll see if I can find any others.

Liz

Squidward

« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Liz,
According to censuses and his war pension records he was born 1873/74, but we all know how inaccurate these things can be  ::)
Squid

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, my g.grandfather's age was wrong, as was my g.grandmother's.  He was always shown as older than he was and her younger, probably because there was about 16 years between them really and she was the elder.

I haven't found any more deaths of John Callaghans in  Chelsea up to the end of 1962.

Liz

Squidward

« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 August 07 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help, Liz.
I have looked on the chelsea pensioners website, and there is a book of rememberence with names and dates of in patients who have died there, but unfortunately it only covers 1978 onwards. I may post the link on the appropriate page in rootschat though, as it would be an excellent resourse for many.
I am quite interested to read that in the hospital museum there are 2,100 medals bequeathed to the hospital from former in patients, so I may even find his medals! That would be wonderful!
Thanks again
Squid