Author Topic: Advice about digital cameras please  (Read 9339 times)

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice about digital cameras please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
And,

Tomkin ;D      All Taken with my Lovely old Fuji ;D ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:07 BST (UK) »
That's a very nice looking camera, Tomkin. How much did it cost? Have you got any images from it that you can post yet? You must have even more cameras than I have  8)

Kerry, if you are wanting close up of birds, the most important thing is depth of field/focus, camera shake. and dust/smudge free lens.

Gadget

PS - I see it can be bought for £250-£350  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Tomkin

I'm in the pleasurable position of being a bit free with the money.  Basically to cut a long story short I've been saving for a life assurance savings plan for 15 years £35 a month, it matures next month and whilst I am going to be sensible and pay off most of it on my mortgage I am going to buy two things for myself that I desire - a flat screen monitor for my computer and a new camera  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What name and number is the camera?  I bought a magazine this morning that had quite a good review for a new Olympus and I quite liked the sound of it.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:10 BST (UK) »
That's a very nice looking camera, Tomkin. How much did it cost? Have you got any images from it that you can post yet? You must have even more cameras than I have  8)

Kerry, if you are wanting close up of birds, the most important thing is depth of field/focus, camera shake. and dust/smudge free lens.

Gadget

Ooh Gadget you snuck in there!

Yes camera shake is one of my priority, I've always had a wonderful camera shake!!!!!  A lot of the new camera's have image stabilisation now which is a must for me.

Pete's been trying to go through the depth of field/focus thing again with me this morning, I have a mental block but I think I'm beginning to understand it. 

Aperture - the bigger the number, the smaller the aperture but why?  Why couldn't they have a small number = a small aperture, I'd get it then! ::) ::) ::) ::)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:15 BST (UK) »
While we are on the subject what is ISO?

The Olympus I was looking at and liked the look of - SP -550 UZ had a good rating except that there is a lot of noise at high ISO ie 400 and 800.

But I don't know what ISO is or why I would need a high one??

Kerry  ::)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
ISO is film rating -  fine- coarse grain in the old days of emulsion coated film.  The lower the rating the finer the grain*. It can be used to vary the shutter speed in various lighting conditions .

Gadget

* only 'virtual' in digital cameras  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:21 BST (UK) »
Right I think I'm with you  :)

Kerry

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Posted by: Gadget  Posted on: Today at 15:07:35 
Insert Quote 
That's a very nice looking camera, Tomkin. How much did it cost? Have you got any images from it that you can post yet? 

I've posted quite a few on RC. You missed them :P :P :P :P :P

The Camera is the Olympus SP-550Uz ( it also has the benefit of a 28mm wide angle equivalent)

The Spuggy is a young 'un taken through the kitchen window. It wants to be very careful where it sits ;D

Tomkin

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 04 August 07 15:42 BST (UK) »
 The young Spuggy just before it sat down ;D ;D

Tomkin 8)