Author Topic: Advice about digital cameras please  (Read 9316 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice about digital cameras please
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 18:02 BST (UK) »
Currently Canon seems to get overall very good reviews and seem to be one of the top manufacturers for SLR and compact digital cameras.  Can't go wrong with that.   ;D ;D ;D

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 18:08 BST (UK) »
Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica....

It's the quality of the lens that's the most important  :)

Gadget

PS am I opening the flood gates of dissent  ::) ::) ::)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
Not for me, I agree with you wholeheartedly!  ;D ;D ;D  But then I have read 5 magazines, looked at endless websites etc etc etc

Kerry  ::) ::)

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

I also looked at this camera but it had only just come out and the reviews were
   not very decisive. As I said you can't really go wrong as most of them have good and bad
    points.   If I were you I would hotfoot it to a good camera store and ask to have a look at
 all of them and see how easy they are to operate.
   ( then go on the internet and see if you can get it cheaper :o :o :o)
      Give the saleman some Welly Gel and find out if the camera does  what you want.

Tomkin ;D ;D ;D ;D

( Don't forget.   We want to see loads and loads of Piccies ;D ;D ;D )

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
This is exactly it Tomkin, I would a camera I like, read a good review, read a bad review, get confused, and so on.  In the end quite a lot of subjective and down to personal choice, ie cons that you can put up with and those you can't. 

Apparently one of the cons for this one is that it doesn't have file format in RAW - that doesn't bother me!

Kerry  ;D

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 18:58 BST (UK) »

Hi Kerry,

I agree with you lass. It's the same when you are buying any electronic
   equipment. Some of the cheaper rubbish you can disregard but when you are looking
    at the top equipment it all comes down to personal preference.
         With a lady with small hands I would see if the camera handles well and feels
    comfortable. Fortunately most cameras today are more compact.
      One tip when I look at something new is to look at the forums and look at the comments
    of people who have bought and used the item.
               You can still get totally confused though so beware ;D ;D ;D ;D
      I would agree with you about the RAW  mode though. It's only now that the memory
    cards have increased in  capacity that I would be tempted to switch it on.

Happy Snappy,
                                      Tomkin.
  P.S and what really annoys me is that Fuji is bringing out an 18X zoom next month and
          I can't find out what CCD sensor it's using and I suppose it will be ages before we see
 any reviews and find out if it's any good and I like Fuji and......pause for breath....  I'm going
to get my dinner ready ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 19:04 BST (UK) »
I've only ever used RAW a few times - not really worth it in MHO.
A couple of years ago brother in law took all his (canon) holiday snaps in Raw and then found that the driver for his Mac wouldn't read them. CDs later, I converted them and he got them back as uncompressed jpgs.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 19:15 BST (UK) »
Right then, it's off to the camera shop on Friday to handle a few cameras and see which feels right in my small arthritic paws (reason for the wobbly blurred pics - my excuse anyway) - then check the price, then home to order online at much cheaper price   :D :D

Many thanks for all the advice,
Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 19:32 BST (UK) »
check the price, then home to order online at much cheaper price   Cheesy Cheesy

SSSSshhhhh....... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I sometimes go to the shop, tell them the price on the internet and see if they can match it.
       If it's just a few quid difference then I would buy from the shop. If anything goes wrong
     at least you can drag the salesman over the counter. If you are buying from the Net make
      sure you find out about the firms return of faulty goods Policy.

If you can, have a look at the Panasonic Lumix DMD T23.
  Thats got a 10X zoom I think.  Don't ask me why but theres something about it that makes me
    think that it might suit you.

Then again.........   try 'em all ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tomkin