Author Topic: Hunts Expert Required  (Read 2640 times)

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
Hunts Expert Required
« on: Thursday 02 August 07 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi guys

I have a bit of a problem with one of my families.  I need someone who has a good knowledge of Hunts past.

I'm trying to find the baptism of a Sophia THORY born about 1816 IGI gives BURY BY, Ramsey, Huntingdon.  No other details just her spouse which I knew of anyway.  Frederic Vernum born abt 1813 Swannington, Leicestershire married in Wing, Rutland 1834.

A kind lady called Ruth has looked through the parish records for Alconbury Weston, Bury cum Hepmangrove and Ramsey and there are no baptisms for Sophia Thory.  There are 3 marriages and one burial in Bury cum Hepmangrove the first one in 1815 so that might be Sophias parents.

Nov 2nd 1815
John Thory bac otp
Ann Bone sp otp
Witnesses  William (X) Bone and James Thory

There is another marriage in 1819 between a Sophia Thoody (signed Thory with Ann Thory witness)  and Robert East so she could be Johns sister.

I'm thinking that Sophia Thory born abt 1816 is the illigitemate daughter of Sophia before she married Robert East.  The reason behind this is the birth certificate of Frederick and Sophia Vernums child frederick.  Strangest thing is the mother's maiden name was down as EAST not THORY.  I re checked the marriage entry in wing and the two witness's were Robert EAST and Sarah EAST.

This coincides with the above entry for Sophia Thoody and Robert East.  So was she Illigitemate?

I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction e.g. possible Nonconformist's in Bury or some other form of church.  I really don't know the Hunts area very well.

Many Thanks

Paul

Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hunts Expert Required
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Hunts Marriage Index has the 1819 marriage as Sarah Thory/Thoody and Robert East, not Sophia Thory. This would then match up with the  1834 marriage witnesses - so could be Sophia's parents, but could also be her uncle and aunt.

Do their other childrens' birth certificates also record her maiden name as East? Who was the informant on Frederic's birth certificate?

Do you know what became of John and Ann Thory?

Genuki shows no non-conformist church in Bury but there was a Wesleyan Methodist church in Ramsey at about this time.

All questions, no answers I'm afraid.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/HUN/Bury-cum-Hepmangrove/

Hi smudger. You may have already looked at the link but it may help.

Jillie

Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillie

Thanks for the link.  I think I have been there???

Hi David

Thanks for the help!  The Sarah Thory is great news.  This does tie the marriage in nicely.  I will get back to you tomorrow with the other questions you have asked as I'm away from my tree.

Thanks guys

Paul
Cornwall: Hoare, Hoar, Mallet, Mallett, Davey, Cock<br />Leicester (Croxton K)Ward<br />Lincolnshire: Smith, Moss, Baxter<br />Rutland: Dexter, Hill, Green, Fowler, Smith, Ward, Vernum, Lattimore, Chappell, Turner, Burrows<br />Northamtonshire: Baxter, Smith<br />South Africa: Moss, Dominey, Dominy, Domeney<br /><br />Requests: <br /><br />1841 Rutland Census Look Ups<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi David answer to your question about John.

I have some info with me kindly looked up by Ricky.  8)

John Thory head mar 79 farrier Cambs Lakes end
Ann       "    wife mar 65             Beds Old Warden?

living at Church Street, Whittlesey, Cambs
Rg9/ 1045
folio 24
page 16

John Thory head mar 65 farrier Lakes End Cambs
Ann       "    wife mar 55             Mount Pleasant ? Bedford
Emma    "    dau u/m 25             Berry Hunts
living at Arnold Street?, Whittlesey, Cambs

H0107/ 1765
folio 142
page 4

transcribed as Story

John Thory 50 farmer Not born in County (or farrier)
Ann       "    40                        "
Ambrose "  20 farrier?            "
Emma      "  15                        "
Daniel      "  14                        "
John         "  12                        "
Frederic    "   7                         "

living at Whittlesey St Mary, Witchford, cambs
H0107/ 82/ 3
folio 13
page 21

Now if I could just find the baptism of John Thory I think it will unravel the whole mystery.

Paul

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Trying to sort this lot out is not straightforward!

Was the Robert East lookup you requested a week ago the right family, as a Robert East of Brampton married Lucy Smith in Huntingdon in 1824?  If Sarah wife of Robert was alive in 1834 this can't be the same Robert East. What information do you have on Robert and Sarah after their 1819 marriage?

Lakes End is in Upwell, which is divided between Cambs and Norfolk, which may explain why John Thory gave his birthplace as Cambs then Norfolk in successive censuses (and why, if he was born in Norfolk he gave Not born in county when living in Cambs in 1841). Genuki has this to say about Upwell (Cambs) parish register
Upwell: Records of baptisms c. 1655 - c.1668, 1704-1902, marriages 1704-1903, burials 1704-1862, banns for 1754-1821 reside in the Wisbech Museum. Transcripts of baptisms c. 1653-69, marriages c. 1653-66, burials c. 1653-69, 1702 and indexed transcripts of baptisms 1704-1818 also reside at the Wisbech Museum. Microfilm copies of baptisms 1704-1902, marriages 1704-1883, burials 1704-1902 also exist. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1691-1837 can be found in the Norfolk Record Office.

Wisbech Museum seems to be the place to start for John's baptism (and probably the other Thorys as well)

Mary Bone gives her birthplace as Mount Pleasant, Old Warden, Beds, but there's no baptism in Old Warden parish register. However there is a Mary Boon baptised in neighbouring Northill on 26 June 1796, dau of  John & Ann Boon, labourer in Northill PR transcript, which might be her.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline smudger28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 August 07 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi David it is a bit of a mess ???

Thanks for the help so far. 

I have no information on Robert & Sarah whatsover.

I have this morning found a burial for a Robert East in Wing, Rutland 20 Sep 1836 age 35 which would explain the lack of census information.  No Sarah East though.

The informant on the birth certificate of Frederick was Sophia the mother.  I do not have any other certificates as I cannot find 3 of the children's baptisms.  They are highlighted in bold below.  I have had the Stanground registers checked and the Pidley register but nothing.  I have checked the Wing registers at Rutland in case they had the first 3 children where they married but again nothing.  I cannot find their registration of birth either.   I checked the Ryhall registers but they start with Mahala.

I cannot find this family in 1841.  I have looked high and low for them.

So as you can tell it's a mystery.

Ryhall
HO107/2094/ Page 24

Frederic Vernum Head Mar 38 Horse Dealer Swannington, Leicestershire
Sophia Vernum Wife Mar 34 Bury, Huntingdonshire
William Vernum Son 16 Pidley, Huntingdonshire
John Vernum Son 13 Butcher's Serv Stanground, Huntingdonshire
Harriet Vernum Dau 12 Scholar Stanground, Huntingdonshire

Halah Vernum Dau 10 Scholar Ryhall, Rutland
Hannah Vernum Dau 8 Scholar Ryhall, Rutland
Frederic Vernum Son 6 Scholar Ryhall, Rutland
Emma Vernum Dau 3 Scholar Ryhall, Rutland

All I need now is some kind person to offer a look up at the Wisbeach museum.

Thanks for the starting point.

Paul